From: FS on
Was wondering if anyone knows of a way to backup databases that are on
standby mode? Basically i have a disaster recovery enviornment that is
offsite and we periodically test our DR implementation which requires those
db's to be brought online. Our databases are synchronized thru Log Shipping
but we have quite a few. So i'm wondering is there a way to backup the
standby db's before onlining them. I basically want to somehow preserver the
LSN sequence so that i dont' have to ship down full backups just to be able
to do log shipping again. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!

-FS
From: Russell Fields on
The answer is 'No.' Sorry.

There has been some discussion on whether, if you are using Enterprise
Edition, you could create a snapshot database and back that up. But that is
also not possible:

RLF

From: Henrik Staun Poulsen on
FS,

I'm not sure about log-shipping, but we transfer our databases from
Recovery Mode to ReadOnly Mode. Then we can query the database. We
could probably also backup the database.

Then we transfer the database from ReadOnly mode back to Recovery
Mode, and restore the next differencial backup.

HIH
Henrik Staun Poulsen
www.stovi.com