From: news on
Hi Folks,

Appologies if this is in the wrong group but I am at a client site and need
to create a database which will be used on SQL2000, only problem is that
they have lost the disk for the developer version of enterprise manager and
as yet I dont have access to the target server. Soo.

As I have SQL2008 developer edition, is there a way I can use that and then
convert the db to sql 2000.

Cheers - Tel

From: Steen Schl�ter Persson on
Hi,

The short answer is no. A database created on SQL2008 can not be
"downgraded" to SQL2000 (or 2005 for that matter).

--
Regards
Steen Schl�ter Persson (DK)

From: Bob Barrows on
news(a)microsoft.com wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Appologies if this is in the wrong group but I am at a client site
> and need to create a database which will be used on SQL2000, only
> problem is that they have lost the disk for the developer version of
> enterprise manager and as yet I dont have access to the target
> server. Soo.
>
> As I have SQL2008 developer edition, is there a way I can use that
> and then convert the db to sql 2000.
>
> Cheers - Tel

As Steen says, you cannot downgrade the database itself, but if you
create and then script the database, you can make the changes to the
script to allow it to be run on a SQL 2000 server.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

From: Michael Coles on
"news(a)microsoft.com" <l(a)l.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> Appologies if this is in the wrong group but I am at a client site and
> need to create a database which will be used on SQL2000, only problem is
> that they have lost the disk for the developer version of enterprise
> manager and as yet I dont have access to the target server. Soo.
>
> As I have SQL2008 developer edition, is there a way I can use that and
> then convert the db to sql 2000.
>
> Cheers - Tel

If you develop on 2008 and script it out for installation on 2000, be sure
that you avoid using SQL 2005 and 2008-specific features (new data types,
CTEs, etc.)

--
Thanks

Michael Coles
SQL Server MVP
Author, "Expert SQL Server 2008 Encryption"
(http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430224649)