From: Bernd Maierhofer on
SQL Server 2008 on Win2008 R2 x64 Server, 8 GB RAM - running virtualized on
VMWare ES-Server

Every sunday some maintainance jobs are scheduled to run. Rebuilding indices
and statistics fail with messages:

[298] SQLServer Error: 701, There is insufficient system memory in resource
pool 'internal' to run this query. [SQLSTATE 42000]
[298] SQLServer Error: 802, There is insufficient memory available in the
buffer pool. [SQLSTATE 42000] (SaveAllSchedules)

After this the server is no longer reachable:
[298] SQLServer Error: 773, SQL Server Network Interfaces: The requested
security package does not exist [SQLSTATE 08001]
[298] SQLServer Error: 773, A network-related or instance-specific error has
occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found
or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is
configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server
Books Online. [SQLSTATE 08001]

A reboot of the server solves the situation, however the maintainance tasks
are not completed.

Any idea, what�s going on?

Thanks for any assistance,
Bernd Maierhofer
www.nutritional-software.at

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Bernd Maierhofer (bernd.maierhofer(a)dato.at) writes:
> SQL Server 2008 on Win2008 R2 x64 Server, 8 GB RAM - running virtualized
> on VMWare ES-Server
>
> Every sunday some maintainance jobs are scheduled to run. Rebuilding
> indices and statistics fail with messages:
>
> [298] SQLServer Error: 701, There is insufficient system memory in
> resource pool 'internal' to run this query. [SQLSTATE 42000]
> [298] SQLServer Error: 802, There is insufficient memory available in the
> buffer pool. [SQLSTATE 42000] (SaveAllSchedules)
>

> After this the server is no longer reachable:
> [298] SQLServer Error: 773, SQL Server Network Interfaces: The requested
> security package does not exist [SQLSTATE 08001]
> [298] SQLServer Error: 773, A network-related or instance-specific error
> has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is
> not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if
> SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more
> information see SQL Server
> Books Online. [SQLSTATE 08001]
>
> A reboot of the server solves the situation, however the maintainance
> tasks are not completed.

I don't have much idea of what is going on, but what if you reboot the
server *before* the maintenance job? That may give a clue of whether
the maintenance job itself is causing the problem, or if it something that
adds up with the sins of the past week.

If I am to make a guess, you have a memory leak because of an extended
stored procedure, OPENXML or similar.

What is in those maintenance job up the job that fails?

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Bernd Maierhofer on
Rebuiding indices and statistics.

The DB is abeout 30 GB having 2 Tables containing most of the data as well
as most indices.

Is it possible that the rebuild of the indices is done in one transaction,
and separating it into smaller peaces would succeed? But in the past this
was rather a problem with space and not with memory.

Maybe a service allocationg memory without releasing?

tx Bernd

From: Bernd Maierhofer on
Maybe this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982854/en-us

is the cause. I�m investigating.

B.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Bernd Maierhofer (bernd.maierhofer(a)dato.at) writes:
> Maybe this
>
> is the cause. I�m investigating.

Does not seem to be related to indexing, but if there are fulltext
queries running simultaneous, the reindexing could be the victim.

> Is it possible that the rebuild of the indices is done in one transaction,
> and separating it into smaller peaces would succeed? But in the past this
> was rather a problem with space and not with memory.

No, this is very unlikely. Your database is 30 GB which is fairly modest.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Missing Object xp_cmdshell