From: JohnB on
We use an outside provider for our Exchange email. And using RDP over HTTP.
For Outlook 2007 clients, they using something called AutoDiscover. And
Autodiscover requires a SRV record for autodiscover.domainName.com
I created the autoDiscover SRV record yesterday to point to their Exchange
server. It looks like the record was created correctly with our Registrar,
the only part I wasn't sure of was Priority and Weight. I left those at
zero. Could that be a problem? I used 443 for the port number.
The only problem is, it seems though the record wasn't created, or at least
the site that I use to check it, doesn't see it:
http://www.hscripts.com/tools/HDNT/dns-record.php
The domain name is blackDiamondRanch.com

I know they say it can take 24 hours for it to replicate... it's been 22
hours.
The problem with Outlook 2007 clients is Out of Office Assistant doesn't
work. It says the server cannot be located. And all of the research points
to the need for a SRV record for autoDiscover. Are there any other ways
(websites,etc) to see if this SRV record has been created, and replicated?

I checked this site: https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/
I can't do the test on there for OOF, it states that my Inbox needs to be
empty in order to do that. I really don't want to delete all my email.
I did the test for RDP over HTTP: it has lots of problems related to
AutoDiscover, but did have this one success:
Successfully retrieved AutoDiscover SRV record from DNS

So it looks like from there, that the SRV record did get created.

Any suggestions on this? I need to get this OOF working.

Thanks

From: Ace Fekay [MCT] on
"JohnB" <jbrigan(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We use an outside provider for our Exchange email. And using RDP over
> HTTP.
> For Outlook 2007 clients, they using something called AutoDiscover. And
> Autodiscover requires a SRV record for autodiscover.domainName.com
> I created the autoDiscover SRV record yesterday to point to their Exchange
> server. It looks like the record was created correctly with our
> Registrar, the only part I wasn't sure of was Priority and Weight. I left
> those at zero. Could that be a problem? I used 443 for the port number.
> The only problem is, it seems though the record wasn't created, or at
> least the site that I use to check it, doesn't see it:
> http://www.hscripts.com/tools/HDNT/dns-record.php
> The domain name is blackDiamondRanch.com
>
> I know they say it can take 24 hours for it to replicate... it's been 22
> hours.
> The problem with Outlook 2007 clients is Out of Office Assistant doesn't
> work. It says the server cannot be located. And all of the research
> points to the need for a SRV record for autoDiscover. Are there any other
> ways (websites,etc) to see if this SRV record has been created, and
> replicated?
>
> I checked this site: https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/
> I can't do the test on there for OOF, it states that my Inbox needs to be
> empty in order to do that. I really don't want to delete all my email.
> I did the test for RDP over HTTP: it has lots of problems related to
> AutoDiscover, but did have this one success:
> Successfully retrieved AutoDiscover SRV record from DNS
>
> So it looks like from there, that the SRV record did get created.
>
> Any suggestions on this? I need to get this OOF working.
>
> Thanks

Priority should be 0, and weight should be 100.

I went to that site, typed in blackDiamondRanch.com and selected to see SRV
records, but none came up. How did you create the SRV record? I looked up
your domain name for SOA info, and it appears you are using network
Solutions, which does support SRV records.

Also, Exchange doesn't necessarily need an SRV for Outlook Anywhere to work.
In many cases if a registrar doesn't support SRV records, you can simply
create an A record called autodiscover pointing to your
mail.blackDiamondRanch.com, which should work.

As for OOF, is it not working on your mailbox, or others as well? Maybe
there is a corrupted rule causing it. Have you cleaned or disabled any rules
and tried again? If you create a new test account, send a few emails to is,
and use that for the test, does the OOF test succeed? Take a look at the
following on how to troubleshoot OOF.

Troubleshooting Out of OfficeMar 25, 2008 ... The typical solution here is
to recognize that Exchange has a ... Now you can test and re-test to make
sure that Out of Office is indeed not working correctly. ... However, before
you do that, remember to export your inbox rules via .... Of course, the
user will now need to reset their Out of Office ...
http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/tools/troubleshooting-out-of-office.html

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please
contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com
for regional support phone numbers.

From: Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT] on
> That was it. The CNAME record. OOF just started working.

I haven't used CNAME records for the autodiscover feature, but if it works
for you, then I'm happy to hear it was resolved.

Ace

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
to their Exchange server. It looks like the record was created
correctly with our Registrar, the only part I wasn't sure of was
Priority and Weight. I left those at zero. Could that be a problem? <br>
determine what order to attempt connecting to the servers in.&nbsp; You have
(from what you say) <em>one</em> server. What ordering differences do
you expect priority and weight to make to that?<br>