From: begendoe on
A WebInspect scan of our CF app turns up this 'non-ssl cookie' as a
vulnerability. I am looking for an explanation as to why this is, or isn't, a
true vulnerability. I was told by a CF expert that it is just WebInspect being
too critical, however, our information security folks need more than that to OK
our application. If it really is an issue, how would I go about fixing it?

The exact message is posted below:

File Names: ? https://oit-cfmx-ace-devl.cc.nd.edu:60137/

that contains sensitive information or
access to privileged functionality such as remote site administration requires
that all cookies are sent via
SSL during a SSL session. Webinspect has detected that the URL:
https://oit-cfmx-ace-devl.cc.nd.edu:60137/ has failed this policy. If a cookie
is marked secure, it will only be
transmitted if the communications channel with the host is a secure one.
Currently this means that secure
cookies will only be sent to HTTPS (HTTP over SSL) servers. If secure is not
specified, a cookie is considered
safe to be sent in the clear over unsecured channels.

For more information refer to the following white paper:
http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html

From: begendoe on
The cookie in question is the JSESSIONID. Our info security folks think that this unencrypted cookie could allow someone's session to be hijacked.

Pages: 1
Prev: Denied Access
Next: cfif insert was successful?