From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Compare exponents
Compare mantissas
What's a problem?

VLV

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
In comp.dsp Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> Compare exponents
> Compare mantissas
> What's a problem?

Twice as much work as you need to do.

Note that the PDP-10 has one compare instruction for both
fixed and floating point numbers.

-- glen
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

> In comp.dsp Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>Compare exponents
>>Compare mantissas
>>What's a problem?
>

> Twice as much work as you need to do.

Actually less of work. Both compare operations are narrow and could be
done in parallel. The question is likely in the context of FPGA.

> Note that the PDP-10 has one compare instruction for both
> fixed and floating point numbers.

This is possible if the floats are in IEEE754-like representation and
handling of NANs and denormals not required.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

From: thunder on
On 4 Nov, 21:10, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
> > In comp.dsp Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >>Compare exponents
> >>Compare mantissas
> >>What's a problem?
>
> > Twice as much work as you need to do.
>
> Actually less of work. Both compare operations are narrow and could be
> done in parallel. The question is likely in the context of FPGA.
>
> > Note that the PDP-10 has one compare instruction for both
> > fixed and floating point numbers.
>
> This is possible if the floats are in IEEE754-like representation and
> handling of NANs and denormals not required.
>
> Vladimir Vassilevsky
> DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultanthttp://www.abvolt.com

The compares will be done in parallel.

Furthermore, the Floating numbers are internal representation and do
not conform to IEEE 754 representation. Thus handling of NANs and
denormals are not required.

Thanks