From: Kevryl on
I've had to disable it. Its soooo slow (eg 5 minutes and more to save
autorecovery info on a file that saves in under 30 seconds!).

Any ideas why so? I'm on Office 2007, Win 7 using files that were generated
years ago under Excel 2000 and have worked flawlessy prior to "upgrading" (ha
ha) to Office 2007.

All my macros, which operated much quicker after upgrading to Win 7 have now
come to a screeching slowdown since installing Office 2007 too, which i did
because 2000 just didn't seem to be comfortable under Win 7. I am soooo
seriously considering winding back to 2000 and XP again, but afarid that now
I've "trialled" and saved files in 2007 I could even more compound the
problems by winding back. Also I'm running Outlook 2007 for my PDA now.
From: JLatham on
I see from this post and your other asking about speeds in 2010 that you've
apparently just started using 2007? If so, perhaps you can open any new
files created with 2007 and save them out in 97-2000 format to get the file
format correct. (Keep the 2007 created files around for a while).
You could try out 2010 to see if you like it better - you can download a
trial version of it for your own evaluation.
http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx
Remember that this download is still listed as a 'Beta' and caution should
be exercised in using it in a production/business critical environment.

If you've got a version of Windows 7 that supports the "Windows XP Mode",
you could set the machine up with that as a virtual machine and install the
2010 beta into it for evaluation.

From: Kevryl on
Again, thanks Jim. Yes, I'm mostly still using the 97-2003 save. As mentioned
elsewhere I did save, and am using another large file (an inventory file)
as.xlsm because I thought that was the only way to save it complete with
macros. I've discovered otherwise since, and seeing as .xlsm wants me to put
underscores in front of range-names (funny, it diodn't with the inventory
file so i don't know what gives) I haven't gone there with the accounting
file.

I have a second machine, so I think I'll give the Beta 2020 a try on that
machine.

I've been awfully tempted to either roll-back to XP/Office 2000 or go
Linux/Open Office, but I know the latter will involve some very tedious
conversion work in the beginning. And I'm also not sure if Linux is yet up to
being used by a non-tinkerer like me. :-) Thoughts? As an MVP I'm obviously
expecting you to be a little biased *winks*