From: Mr. Arnold on
Mario wrote:

> You give me idea with the Tab control, so I think I that multiview will
> solve the problem, to avoid session variables.
> Still don't see the purpose of ADO.NET and also LINQ. They are also use
> dataset, connection which I use for editing database, so they are to
> imaginary terms for me.

ADO.NET is the .NET technology that provides the database providers like
(MS SQL server, Oracle etc, etc) to be used to access their database in
a .NET program.

What is ADO.NET?

ADO.NET is a set of computer software components that programmers can
use to access data and data services. It is a part of the base class
library that is included with the Microsoft .NET Framework. It is
commonly used by programmers to access and modify data stored in
relational database systems, though it can also access data in
non-relational sources. ADO.NET is sometimes considered an evolution of
ActiveX Data Objects (ADO) technology, but was changed so extensively
that it can be considered an entirely new product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADO.NET

LINQ is about the following and take note on the word 'object'.

What is Object-oriented-programming?

(OOP) is a programming paradigm that uses "objects" and their
interactions to design applications and computer programs.
The key concepts of OOP are the following:

Class
Object
Instance
Method
Message passing
Inheritance
Abstraction
Encapsulation
Polymorphism
Decoupling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

No matter what development platform Java, .Net or others OOP is OOP.

http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/downloads/OOP2_from_Univ_KwaZulu-Natal.pdf
http://www.blackwasp.co.uk/ObjectOrientedConcepts.aspx

What are design patterns?

Design patterns are recurring solutions to software design problems you
find again and again in real-world application development. Patterns are
about design and interaction of objects, as well as providing a
communication platform concerning elegant, reusable solutions to
commonly encountered programming challenges.

http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/1502691
http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/Patterns.aspx
http://computerprogramming.suite101.com/article.cfm/patterns_and_antipatterns
http://www.designpatternsfor.net/Presentations.aspx?tid=3&cid=4

What is Language Integrated Query?

LINQ is a Microsoft .NET Framework component that adds native data
querying capabilities to .NET languages.
Microsoft LINQ defines a set of query operators that can be used to
query, project and filter data in arrays, enumerable classes, XML,
relational database, and third party data sources. While it allows any
data source to be queried, it requires that the data be encapsulated as
objects. So, if the data source does not natively store data as objects,
the data must be mapped to the object domain. Queries written using the
query operators are executed either by the LINQ query processing engine
or, via an extension mechanism, handed over to LINQ providers which
either implement a separate query processing engine or translate to a
different format to be executed on a separate data store (such as on a
database server as SQL queries). The results of a query are returned as
a collection of in-memory objects that can be enumerated using a
standard iterator function such as C#'s foreach.
Many of the concepts that LINQ has introduced were originally tested in
Microsoft's C? research project. LINQ was released as a part of .NET
Framework 3.5 on November 19, 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_Integrated_Query

What is Object Relational Mapping?

(ORM) is a programming technique for converting data between
incompatible type systems in relational databases and object-oriented
programming languages. This creates, in effect, a "virtual object
database," which can be used from within the programming language. There
are both free and commercial packages available that perform
object-relational mapping, although some programmers opt to create their
own ORM tools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-RM

If you're using LINQ, then dump the datasets and use an object or
collections of objects.

LINQ-2-SQL or LINQ-2-Object used with the ADO.NET Entity Framework
allows one to use objects.

What is Linq-to-SQL?

LINQ to SQL, a component of Visual Studio Code Name "Orcas", provides a
run-time infrastructure for managing relational data as objects without
losing the ability to query. It does this by translating
language-integrated queries into SQL for execution by the database, and
then translating the tabular results back into objects you define. Your
application is then free to manipulate the objects while LINQ to SQL
stays in the background tracking your changes automatically.

What is ADO.NET Entities framework?

ADO.NET Entity Framework is an object-relational mapping (ORM) framework
for the .NET Framework. This framework is Microsoft's first ORM offering
for the .NET Framework. While Microsoft provided objects to manage the
Object-relational impedance mismatch (such as a DataSet).
ADO.NET Entity Framework is included with .NET Framework 3.5 Service
Pack 1 and Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, released on 11 Aug 2008.
It also includes the capability of executing LINQ against ADO.NET Entity
Framework entities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADO.NET_Entity_Framework

If you want to put it altogether, then make the $79 investment for yourself.

http://www.dofactory.com/Framework/Framework.aspx

From: Mario on

"Mr. Arnold" <Arnold(a)Arnold.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> application is then free to manipulate the objects while LINQ to SQL stays
> in the background tracking your changes automatically.

> What is ADO.NET Entities framework?
>
> ADO.NET Entity Framework is an object-relational mapping (ORM) framework
> for the .NET Framework. This framework is Microsoft's first ORM offering
> for the .NET Framework. While Microsoft provided objects to manage the
> Object-relational impedance mismatch (such as a DataSet).
> ADO.NET Entity Framework is included with .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack
> 1 and Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, released on 11 Aug 2008. It also
> includes the capability of executing LINQ against ADO.NET Entity Framework
> entities
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADO.NET_Entity_Framework
>

> If you want to put it altogether, then make the $79 investment for

Thank you, I will read more about ADO.NET. Until now, I can't figure the
practical advantage of ADO if you consider the way how I update/insert
database in my web application:
//string sql =
// "INSERT [dbo].[OsobniPodaci] ([ime], [ime0], [grad],
[posta], [oib], [nosac], [boja])" +
// " VALUES (@ime, @ime0, @grad, @posta, @oib, @nosac,
@boja)";
//using (
//SqlConnection myConnection = new
SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["BazaConnectionString"].ConnectionString))
//{
// SqlCommand myCommand = new SqlCommand(sql, myConnection);

// //Upis osobnih podataka u bazu
// //Koristim sesion varijablu
// //ovi sa znakom @ su u gornjem stringu sql, kako se ne bi
ponavljao
// myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@ime",
// (string)Session["ime"]));
// myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@ime0",
// (string)Session["ime0"]));
// myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@grad",
// (string)Session["grad"]));
// myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@posta",
// (string)Session["posta"]));
// myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@oib",
// (string)Session["oib"]));
// //Upis nosaca i boje otiska u bazu
// myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@nosac",
// (string)Session["nosac"]));
// myCommand.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@boja",
// (string)Session["boja"]));

// myConnection.Open();
// myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();

// //uzmi ID reda, odnosno IDNarudzbe
// //myCommand = new SqlCommand("SET @IDNarudzbe =
CAST(SCOPE_IDENTITY() AS INT)",
// // myConnection);
// //myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();

// myConnection.Close();

From: Mr. Arnold on
Mario wrote:
> [...]
>> for the .NET Framework. This framework is Microsoft's first ORM offering
>> for the .NET Framework. While Microsoft provided objects to manage the
>> Object-relational impedance mismatch (such as a DataSet).
>> ADO.NET Entity Framework is included with .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack
>> 1 and Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, released on 11 Aug 2008. It also
>> includes the capability of executing LINQ against ADO.NET Entity Framework
>> entities
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADO.NET_Entity_Framework
>>

>> If you want to put it altogether, then make the $79 investment for
>> yourself.
>>
>> http://www.dofactory.com/Framework/Framework.aspx
>>

> Thank you, I will read more about ADO.NET. Until now, I can't figure the
> practical advantage of ADO if you consider the way how I update/insert

Well, if you use Linq-2-SQL or ADO.NET Entity Framework, it would do it
for you with the CRUD operations, which they still both use ADO.NET and
T-SQL behind the scene.

And there is no practical advantage with ADO.NET, it's a requirement a
must, because without it, you can do nothing with a database -- period.

If you're unhappy about using ADO.NET SQL Command Object, then you
should look at the two solutions above.