From: Drummond on
I'm having a interesting issue with a scanner. When I try to install it, it
is not recognized. The drivers are included and I have followed the
directions with no success. When I try to manually update the driver and
select the location it appears to be looking for a file named "ECB2KXB.inf"
not the MEM48U.inf included with the scanner, which is also the model of the
scanner. ECB2KXB.inf is not on the cd at all! Of course the "manufacturer"
(not really) doesn't list the product on their web site at all.

Am I asking for trouble if I rename the file and try that or should I just
trash this scanner and buy something worth the effort. The scanner was free
so I'm not out anything except a couple hours time and frustration.

Thanks,
Drummond
From: Paul on
Drummond wrote:
> I'm having a interesting issue with a scanner. When I try to install it, it
> is not recognized. The drivers are included and I have followed the
> directions with no success. When I try to manually update the driver and
> select the location it appears to be looking for a file named "ECB2KXB.inf"
> not the MEM48U.inf included with the scanner, which is also the model of the
> scanner. ECB2KXB.inf is not on the cd at all! Of course the "manufacturer"
> (not really) doesn't list the product on their web site at all.
>
> Am I asking for trouble if I rename the file and try that or should I just
> trash this scanner and buy something worth the effort. The scanner was free
> so I'm not out anything except a couple hours time and frustration.
>
> Thanks,
> Drummond

User manual:
http://www.memorex.com/downloads/software/48uMemorexMEM48U.zip

Driver download (not available) - indicates the scanner is made by Artec
http://web.archive.org/web/20051231014459/www.artecusa.com/usb-scanner-driver.html

Got the driver download from driverguide.com (MEM48U1.50.ZIP - 29,163,103 bytes)

Looking in the Mem48U.inf file

%TScan.DeviceDesc% = TScan.Scanner, USB\VID_05D8&PID_4005

The VID and PID have to match the enumeration returned by the device. Renaming
an INF won't help, because for the operations in the INF to "take", the
enumeration has to match.

With the scanner plugged in, run the following tool. Some of the info in
there, should show the VID and PID of the scanner. I have to apologize for the
source - this used to be on the Microsoft site, but I guess it was too useful.
Therefore, I have to use an archived copy. When you go to this page, the
download link is on the right. I verified that at least the top EXE link
still works. Download file is 167,231 bytes. Run the EXE and it will display
what is plugged into each port. You want to check for "05D8" and "4005" in
the listed information, as proof that the scanner is not broken.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070516010130/http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/vidcap/UVCViewdwn.mspx

I cannot find a match for ECB2KXB.inf. I can find a match for ECB2KXP.inf.
The latter file is a PCCard bus controller. So if this was a laptop,
there was a USB card plugged into the PCCard slot, maybe there is some vague
relevance. Otherwise, I expect it would be pretty hard for the
enumeration to be that far off. This is the content of the ECB2KXP.inf file.

http://contents.driverguide.com/content.php?id=624796&path=PCMCIA%2FCardBus%2FWin2KXP%2FECB2KXP.inf

Paul
From: Drummond on
I tried the ArtecUSA site it is now one of those horrable search pages that
take over abandoned sites.
I'll give the tool a try, had the same result on 2 of the scanners, I was
given 2 of them. It is possible they are both defective.

Thanks!