From: Chris Rees on
Dear all,

I'm working on rescuing scilab's port (math/scilab), but it seems the
latest version depends on loads of java packages that don't seem to
have corresponding ports.

Is the correct procedure for me to:

- Create a new port for each java package

or

- Somehow automatically download each java package to install along
with the scilab port?

There's a distinct lack of ports for java, so I'm worried I'm doing it wrong....

Chris

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>Dear all,
>
>I'm working on rescuing scilab's port (math/scilab), but it seems the
>latest version depends on loads of java packages that don't seem to
>have corresponding ports.
>
>Is the correct procedure for me to:
>
>- Create a new port for each java package
>
>or
>
>- Somehow automatically download each java package to install along
>with the scilab port?

If I recall correctly, it is only the GUI for the new version that
relies upon the Java software, and you can for the moment just use the
bundled prerequisites distfiles:

http://www.scilab.org/download/5.1.1/prerequirements-scilab-5.1.1-src.tar.gz
http://www.scilab.org/download/5.1.1/prerequirements-scilab-5.1.1-x86_64-src.tar.gz

and just lump that software in them that isn't already in Ports with
the rest of scilab (offset with a WITH_GUI option, of course, so
people can opt out), for the sake of convenience, until there is
enough interest in the individual pieces to split them out to separate
ports. I made a port months ago without the GUI. BTW, I thought you
had taken up the maintainership of Scilab4. Last time I asked, some
users wanted to keep that port so they didn't have to fool around with
Java, and despite the fact that there was no maintainer, I don't think
they will be happy to see the old version disappear entirely, the
assertions of the GCC maintainer run amok notwithstanding. A new port
is probably in order. I had some old patches somewhere to fix the old
version for amd64. I'll see if I can dig them up when I have a
moment.

b.

On 22 Sep 2009 19:41, "bf" <bf1783(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> >Dear all,

> >I'm working on rescuing scilab's port (math/scilab), but it seems the

> >latest version depends on loads of java packages that don't seem to

> >have corresponding ports.

> >Is the correct procedure for me to:

> >- Create a new port for each java package

> >or

> >- Somehow automatically download each java package to install along

> >with the scilab port?

> If I recall correctly, it is only the GUI for the new version that

> relies upon the Java software, and you can for the moment just use the

> bundled prerequisites distfiles:

> http://www.scilab.org/download/5.1.1/prerequirements-scilab-5.1.1-src.tar.gz

> http://www.scilab.org/download/5.1.1/prerequirements-scilab-5.1.1-x86_64-src.tar.gz

> and just lump that software in them that isn't already in Ports with

> the rest of scilab (offset with a WITH_GUI option, of course, so

> people can opt out), for the sake of convenience, until there is

> enough interest in the individual pieces to split them out to separate

> ports. I made a port months ago without the GUI. BTW, I thought you

> had taken up the maintainership of Scilab4. Last time I asked, some

> users wanted to keep that port so they didn't have to fool around with

> Java, and despite the fact that there was no maintainer, I don't think

> they will be happy to see the old version disappear entirely, the

> assertions of the GCC maintainer run amok notwithstanding. A new port

> is probably in order. I had some old patches somewhere to fix the old

> version for amd64. I'll see if I can dig them up when I have a

> moment.

> b.

Thanks for that, I've gone and made four new ports before I got your reply!
Never mind, I suppose I could just submit those and depend on them, I think
they should do well. I'll submit this as scilab5 when it's done, but I'll
look at making some OPTIONS to change some configure args; it is possible
to disable the GUI, as you've discovered.

Was Scilab 4's GUI not based on Java then?

Chris
On 9/22/09, utisoft(a)googlemail.com <utisoft(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that, I've gone and made four new ports before I got your reply!

Well, at that rate you may as well do them all. ;)

> Never mind, I suppose I could just submit those and depend on them, I think
> they should do well. I'll submit this as scilab5 when it's done, but I'll
> look at making some OPTIONS to change some configure args; it is possible
> to disable the GUI, as you've discovered.
>
> Was Scilab 4's GUI not based on Java then?

No, it's "official" GUI was tk-based -- not very slick, but easy to
change and not resource-hungry. They also distributed a GTK+-2-based
GUI. A lot of the effort behind the new version seems to have gone
into the Java GUI and graphics -- I hope it was worth the trouble,
but I suspect otherwise.

b.
On 22 Sep 2009 21:48, "bf" <bf1783(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/09, utisoft(a)googlemail.com utisoft(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for that, I've gone and made four new ports before I got your
> reply!

> Well, at that rate you may as well do them all. ;)

Done!

> > Never mind, I suppose I could just submit those and depend on them, I
> think

> > they should do well. I'll submit this as scilab5 when it's done, but
> I'll

> > look at making some OPTIONS to change some configure args; it is
> possible

> > to disable the GUI, as you've discovered.

> > Was Scilab 4's GUI not based on Java then?

> No, it's "official" GUI was tk-based -- not very slick, but easy to

> change and not resource-hungry. They also distributed a GTK+-2-based

> GUI. A lot of the effort behind the new version seems to have gone

> into the Java GUI and graphics -- I hope it was worth the trouble,

> but I suspect otherwise.

We'll find out soon, hopefully!

Chris