From: McColgst on
Just to kind of get back on topic:

Before buying a book or making a terribly large investment, OP should
consider the fact that Python 3 is out and gaining some popularity.
From: bartc on

"Peter" <vmail(a)mycircuit.org> wrote in message

>> Sounds good.
>>
>> Regarding the book's title: is it just me, or are Python programmers
>> in general put off when people call it "scripting"?
>>
>> I won't attempt a strict definition of the term "scripting language",
>> but it seems like non-programmers use it to mean "less scary than what
>> you might think of as programming", while programmers interpret it as
>> "not useful as a general-purpose language".
>>

> It took me a while to take "scripting" seriously. I grew up with Pascal
> and Eiffel and I found it difficult to appreciate dynamic typing and
> scripting. The author Langtangen is explaining in detail why he considers
> scripting useful, in particular he provides an automatic test suite to run
> different language versions ( perl, python, c, c++) of the same program to
> compare performance. The results are amazing, in that some of the examples
> run faster than the C++ version.

I think if you can get Python to run fast (compared to compiled languages),
then that's scripting (ie. just using it to sequence lots of built-in
functions and operations).

If it runs a lot slower than those other languages, then you're probably
doing some programming.

And with programs where the runtime is not significant, it could be
either...

--
Bartc

First  |  Prev  |