From: John Doe on
I would like to learn something about proper care of sealed lead
acid (SLA) batteries. Is there any good authoritative science on
how SLA batteries should be cared for? I am searching... I suppose
battery makers/distributors would be one of the best sources of
information about that?

Specifically... I wonder why instructions that come with SLA
batteries so strongly emphasize charging the battery immediately
after use, without specifying how much use. Are they concerned
that the battery might eventually self discharge too deeply? Or
does it degrade an SLA battery to rest it in any state but fully
charged?

Thanks.
From: JerryT on

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
From: Phil Allison on

"John Doe"

>I would like to learn something about proper care of sealed lead
> acid (SLA) batteries. Is there any good authoritative science on
> how SLA batteries should be cared for? I am searching... I suppose
> battery makers/distributors would be one of the best sources of
> information about that?
>
> Specifically... I wonder why instructions that come with SLA
> batteries so strongly emphasize charging the battery immediately
> after use, without specifying how much use. Are they concerned
> that the battery might eventually self discharge too deeply? Or
> does it degrade an SLA battery to rest it in any state but fully
> charged?

** If an SLA battery is left in a discharged condition (ie less than 2 volts
per cell ) for a long enough, ie weeks or months, it will corrode internally
and be ruined. Same goes for most lead-acid car batteries too.

Not true for Ni-Cd or NiMh cells though.

...... Phil

From: Robert Roland on
On 28 May 2010 05:51:02 GMT, John Doe <jdoe(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

>does it degrade an SLA battery to rest it in any state but fully
>charged?

All lead-acid batteries degrade with time. The degradation rate goes
up with increasing temperature and/or decreasing charge state.

In other words: Keep them cool and fully charged.

Note that proper charge voltage is dependent on temperature, so if you
keep the battery in the freezer, your charger must be able to adjust
the voltage accordingly.
--
RoRo
From: keithw86 on
On May 28, 12:51 am, John Doe <j...(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
> I would like to learn something about proper care of sealed lead
> acid (SLA) batteries. Is there any good authoritative science on
> how SLA batteries should be cared for? I am searching... I suppose
> battery makers/distributors would be one of the best sources of
> information about that?
>
> Specifically... I wonder why instructions that come with SLA
> batteries so strongly emphasize charging the battery immediately
> after use, without specifying how much use. Are they concerned
> that the battery might eventually self discharge too deeply? Or
> does it degrade an SLA battery to rest it in any state but fully
> charged?
>
> Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Batteries-Applications-Handbook-Engineers/dp/0750670061/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275050161&sr=1-12

Everything you ever wanted to know about SLACs.