From: Mel on
I have a private website (portal) that our sales representatives have
access to. I have approx. 1GB of documents such as training manuals,
marketing documents, technical information sheets, etc. located in a
"Library" folder which contains lots of sub-folders and files and is
located beneath the root folder. I want to allow the user to easily
search this information; file name and file content key word
searching. How would I implement this on my website?

Please note, I want the users to search this area of the website only,
searching the rest of the website is not necessary. I am using
Asp.net 2.0, VB.net, VS 2008.
From: Patrice on
You could use Index Server (know perhaps as Windows Search) to index those
documents. You may need third party "filters" to be able to index third
party documents. Then you can use ADO.NET to run a query against those
indexed documents.

Try :
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/sushil%20saini/UsingIndexServer11262005045132AM/UsingIndexServer.aspx
--
Patrice

"Mel" <mlightsout(a)gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de groupe de discussion
: b86edd8c-3f97-4d2d-938d-ec906d319eb2(a)z4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...

From: Patrice on

> Now I am trying to make a new ASP.net web page that uses that indexing
> service to perform the searching. I am referring to the website link
> you provided and trying to make it work in Visual Basic language and
> Asp.net 2.0 (.NET framework 3.5). If anyone else can offer some other
> examples that would be excellent.

I found a KB article that exists in both C# and VB :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820105/en-us (How to use an ASP.NET
application to query an Indexing Service catalog by using Visual Basic
..NET).

Though a bit old it should bit be very similar and even perhaps identical
for .NET 2.0.

--
Patrice

From: Patrice on
> I tried just "path" instead of "vpath" (which is virtual path) and I
> believe that will work.

Based on the name vpath would be likely some kind of virtual directory
(perhaps when you index content on another server using a share ?). So path
should do it if you are on the same server...

--
Patrice