From: The Frog on
If you are looking for data to be secured from people with malicious
intent then you could always introduce a cryptographic function to
encrypt the data so that it can only be 'read' from your application.
Simple XOR shifting might even be enough to deter casual snoopers -
although a programmer would probably get through that in under 60
seconds. The more capable the advesary or the greater the risk the
stronger you need to protect your data.

As Tom says, it really depends on what you are trying to do.

The Frog
From: Finn Stampe Mikkelsen on
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 02:59:59 +0100, "Finn Stampe Mikkelsen"
> <stampe(a)city.dk> wrote:
>
> It depends on how strong you want that protection to be. In one case I
> wrote an AutoExec macro in the back-end database, with a:
> Msgbox "Yo! You shouldn't be here. This db is only for use with the
> XYZ app"
> DoCmd.Quit
> and that helped a lot. But it's not foolproof, of course.
>
> Also, in many jurisdictions the data belongs to the owner/licensee of
> the app, and you as the manufacturer of the app do not have the right
> to make that data unavailable.

The copyright of the is mine, would i therefore not be the owner of supplied
data with the app?? I can se how data created with the app could be the
owner/licensee, but data supplied with the program (ergo not
compiled/created by the owner) should not be covered by that...

What i want to prevent, is actually that the data supplied by the copyright
holder, is not used as basis for another program doing essential the same
thing. I could password protect the data, but that has no value. 10 seconds
and that password is broken..

So i need to do it another way and my advisary would be a programmer. it
sounds like i need to do a data encryption algorythm to encrypt the data.
..NET provides great classes for that, but i wondered if there where an
already inplace security i could have used instead..

/Finn

From: David W. Fenton on
"Finn Stampe Mikkelsen" <stampe(a)city.dk> wrote in

> The copyright of the is mine, would i therefore not be the owner
> of supplied data with the app??

Depends on what you mean by "supplied data." We generally don't
consider forms/reports/modules/macros to be "data".

Basically, if it's in the back end, it belongs to the client.

If it's in the front end, it belongs to the developer.

Obviously there can be exceptions to that, but the principle is
pretty clear -- the contents of the data tables belong to the
client.

Now, if you're using metatdata stored in tables to drive your app,
then that would belong to you, but I'd question why that would be in
the back end and not the front end (e.g., the switchboard table is
always in the front end, given that changes to it are specific to
the application part of the app). If you have data tables that you
are supplying to the client and that drive your app, then I'd say
those data tables belong in the front end.

But if the client is adding data to those tables or altering the
existing data, that transforms the situation into something much
foggier. However, I'd say that scenario sounds like a design error.

In the abstract, it's very difficult to come up with a principle
that covers all cases, but the law in the US is very explicit that
data belongs to the people who created it and copyright in the
application to the programmer. And both of those default assumptions
can be overridden by a contract that sets different terms.

> I can se how data created with the app could be the
> owner/licensee, but data supplied with the program (ergo not
> compiled/created by the owner) should not be covered by that...

You're confusing copyright and ownership. Data cannot be
copyrighted, but it can be owned.

The data your customers insert into the tables behind your app is
their data. You have no legal or moral right to prevent them from
using it in any way they see fit. That doesn't mean you have to
support it, just that's it will get you in legal trouble if you try
to lock them out of their own data.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Finn Stampe Mikkelsen on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen
> "Finn Stampe Mikkelsen" <stampe(a)city.dk> wrote in
>
>> The copyright of the is mine, would i therefore not be the owner
>> of supplied data with the app??
>
> Depends on what you mean by "supplied data." We generally don't
> consider forms/reports/modules/macros to be "data".
>

> The data your customers insert into the tables behind your app is
> their data. You have no legal or moral right to prevent them from
> using it in any way they see fit. That doesn't mean you have to
> support it, just that's it will get you in legal trouble if you try
> to lock them out of their own data.

To specify the situation...:

I have a database app, that presents pre-excisting data to a user. This data
is supplied with the app and is not ment for the user to edit. Alongside
this data, there is another database containing the user own additions to
the data.

What i wanted to encrypt was the data supplied with the app, to prevent
someone from using this data to create there own app, with similar
functionallity...

Real life example.. Picture a digital phone directory, with the option to
add comments in the seperate database to every directory entry. The data i
want to encrypt is the actual directory supplied with the program. i
could'nt really care less about the data created by the user..

Wether the data is in front-end or back end i have no idea of what you talk
about. Those concepts, datawise, are unfamiliar to me...

Besides that, this debate is off-topic in relation to the original posting,
concerning built-in ways to secure data in an accdb file. It seems not to be
a feature available...

/Finn

From: David W. Fenton on

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> skrev i
> meddelelsen
>> "Finn Stampe Mikkelsen" <stampe(a)city.dk> wrote in
>>
>>> The copyright of the is mine, would i therefore not be the owner
>>> of supplied data with the app??
>>
>> Depends on what you mean by "supplied data." We generally don't
>> consider forms/reports/modules/macros to be "data".
>>

>> The data your customers insert into the tables behind your app is
>> their data. You have no legal or moral right to prevent them from
>> using it in any way they see fit. That doesn't mean you have to
>> support it, just that's it will get you in legal trouble if you
>> try to lock them out of their own data.
>>

> To specify the situation...:
>
> I have a database app, that presents pre-excisting data to a user.
> This data is supplied with the app and is not ment for the user to
> edit. Alongside this data, there is another database containing
> the user own additions to the data.

Are these different data tables? What's the purpose of this data?
Does it like to the users' data?

> What i wanted to encrypt was the data supplied with the app, to
> prevent someone from using this data to create there own app, with
> similar functionallity...

Oh, boo hoo. What makes you think your precious data is so fabulous
that somebody would want to "steal" it?

Or that somebody who knows what they are doing can't just look at
your app and recreate the data and the functionality just by
understanding what your app does?

> Real life example.. Picture a digital phone directory, with the
> option to add comments in the seperate database to every directory
> entry. The data i want to encrypt is the actual directory supplied
> with the program. i could'nt really care less about the data
> created by the user..

Data cannot be copyrighted, so you don't have copyright on the data.
That's why so many reference databases are locked behind pay
firewalls, because once it's out, it's legal for anyone to use it.

> Wether the data is in front-end or back end i have no idea of what
> you talk about. Those concepts, datawise, are unfamiliar to me...

Then you must be a novice Access programmer. No properly designed
Access app puts the data tables and all the forms/reports/etc. into
a single file. Instead, the user interface objects are in the
front-end file and the data tables in a separate file, which the
front end links to.

This is bog standard structure for Access apps and always has been
(or, at least, as long as Access has offered linked tables, which
certainly predate Access 2.0).

Aside from the practical reasons for splitting the app, it's
logical, as the application part of your app is separated from the
data on which it operates.

In your case, the pre-supplied data might be better stored as part
of the application, or in a separate back-end data file (assuming
you're not enforcing RI between "your" data and your clients' data).

> Besides that, this debate is off-topic in relation to the original
> posting, concerning built-in ways to secure data in an accdb file.
> It seems not to be a feature available...

There is no encryption built into Access.

But if you need encryption, I don't think you should be using an
ACCDB to store your data.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/