From: JosephMo on
I am trying to connect to an Exchange server with a self-generated
security certificate. My smartphone (Windows mobile version 5) is
giving me an error code: 0x80072F0D

How do I get my smartphone to accept the Exchange server's certificate?

--thx, Joseph

From: Charlie on
If you are having this problem with Outlook Mobile Access, go to Method 2 in
the Resolution section of this KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379/en-us
Basically, you will create a 2nd Exchange virtual directory that does not
require SSL, but is still secure because it is only accessible from the
Exchange server itself. This solution worked for me.

If you are having this problem with Active Sync, you probably will need to
use the above fix AND you will definitely need to install the Root
certificate on the mobile device. I was able to do it the following way:
On the Root CA server, in the Certificates snapin, export the Root
Certificate as a CER file, using the default settings. Copy that CER file to
a PC that has Active Sync installed, sync the device with that PC, copying
the CER file to the device. At that point all I had to do was double click
the file and it installed. After that I was able to connect to the Exchange
server using Active Sync. (I am still having unrelated problems, but no more
"certificate is invalid" errors.)

Each device provider is different when it comes to certificate behavior, so
the above may not work for you. If not, try the instructions in this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915840/en-us
Go to the section entitled "How to install Root Certificates". The first
part of this section tells you to do almost exactly what worked for me, the
second part of it tells you what to do if that doesn't work; it involves
downloading a utililty to install the certificate. I have to warn you - the
wording in the article is very confusing, that is why I gave my own
instructions, at least for the method that worked for me.

Good luck.