From: Frank Martin on
I have WindowsXP pro, SP3.

I have just noticed in the Registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR

that there is a list of all plug-in devices such as cameras,
USB thumb drives etc that I use occasionally. Presumably
imbedded here are times of access of these to the computer
and God knows what else.

For security, can I delete these entries from the registry
by adding their path to the CCleaner program for routine
daily deletion? Presumably the entries will be added again
when I use any device again.

Please help.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Frank Martin" <fm(a)general.com.au> wrote in message
> I have WindowsXP pro, SP3.
>

> I have just noticed in the Registry at:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR
>
> that there is a list of all plug-in devices such as cameras, USB thumb
> drives etc that I use occasionally. Presumably imbedded here are times of
> access of these to the computer and God knows what else.
>
> For security, can I delete these entries from the registry by adding their
> path to the CCleaner program for routine daily deletion? Presumably the
> entries will be added again when I use any device again.
>
> Please help.

If you are concerned about the security and stability of your PC then your
best bet is to remove your registry cleaner.

From: Mint on
On Jun 16, 11:12 pm, "Frank Martin" <f...(a)general.com.au> wrote:
> I have WindowsXP pro, SP3.
>
> I have just noticed in the Registry at:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR
>
> that there is a list of all plug-in devices such as cameras,
> USB thumb drives etc that I use occasionally. Presumably
> imbedded here are times of access of these to the computer
> and God knows what else.
>
> For security, can I delete these entries from the registry
> by adding their path to the CCleaner program for routine
> daily deletion? Presumably the entries will be added again
> when I use any device again.
>
> Please help.

Yes you can and you may want to delete the setupapilog as well.

http://www.anti-forensics.com/delete-usb-device-history-from-the-windows-registry-usbstor-key-and-the-setupapilog
From: Frank Martin on

"Mint" <chocolatemint77581(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 16, 11:12 pm, "Frank Martin" <f...(a)general.com.au>
> wrote:
>> I have WindowsXP pro, SP3.
>>
>> I have just noticed in the Registry at:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR
>>
>> that there is a list of all plug-in devices such as
>> cameras,
>> USB thumb drives etc that I use occasionally. Presumably
>> imbedded here are times of access of these to the
>> computer
>> and God knows what else.
>>
>> For security, can I delete these entries from the
>> registry
>> by adding their path to the CCleaner program for routine
>> daily deletion? Presumably the entries will be added
>> again
>> when I use any device again.
>>
>> Please help.
>
> Yes you can and you may want to delete the setupapilog as
> well.
>
> http://www.anti-forensics.com/delete-usb-device-history-from-the-windows-registry-usbstor-key-and-the-setupapilog

Thank you very much for this info. I have been reading some
books on this subject and it's frightening what's stored on
the computer HDD.
http://www.itpolisen.se/images/hacking-exposed-forensic.jpg
is an example of a book that is most illuminating.

From: Frank Martin on

"Mint" <chocolatemint77581(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 16, 11:12 pm, "Frank Martin" <f...(a)general.com.au>
> wrote:
>> I have WindowsXP pro, SP3.
>>
>> I have just noticed in the Registry at:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR
>>
>> that there is a list of all plug-in devices such as
>> cameras,
>> USB thumb drives etc that I use occasionally. Presumably
>> imbedded here are times of access of these to the
>> computer
>> and God knows what else.
>>
>> For security, can I delete these entries from the
>> registry
>> by adding their path to the CCleaner program for routine
>> daily deletion? Presumably the entries will be added
>> again
>> when I use any device again.
>>
>> Please help.
>
> Yes you can and you may want to delete the setupapilog as
> well.
>
> http://www.anti-forensics.com/delete-usb-device-history-from-the-windows-registry-usbstor-key-and-the-setupapilog

I cannot find the file "setupapilog" I have looked
everywhere.
Please help