From: Ury on
Hi,

I receive a stream of linear 16 bit audio and need to identify the
possibly "interesting" parts vs. plain silence or noise.

Just computing the average energy and comparing to a threshold is not
sifficient since there may be a background noise.

Is there a lightweight adaptive energy detection algorithm?

Thanks,

Ury.

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Ury wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I receive a stream of linear 16 bit audio and need to identify the
> possibly "interesting" parts vs. plain silence or noise.
>
> Just computing the average energy and comparing to a threshold is not
> sifficient since there may be a background noise.
>
> Is there a lightweight adaptive energy detection algorithm?

A very generic way is compare the long term average to the short term
average.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

From: steveu on

>Ury wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I receive a stream of linear 16 bit audio and need to identify the
>> possibly "interesting" parts vs. plain silence or noise.
>>
>> Just computing the average energy and comparing to a threshold is not
>> sifficient since there may be a background noise.
>>
>> Is there a lightweight adaptive energy detection algorithm?
>
>A very generic way is compare the long term average to the short term
>average.

While that is the typical way of expressing the idea, I think "long term"
confuses the beginner. I think its more descriptive to say you need to
compare the medium term average with the short term average. In other words
look for surges in the energy above the gently rolling changes typical of
background noise.

Steve

From: Mikolaj on
Dnia 02-11-2009 o 13:55:03 Ury <ujamshy(a)yahoo.com> napisa�(a):

> Hi,
>
> I receive a stream of linear 16 bit audio and need to identify the
> possibly "interesting" parts vs. plain silence or noise.
>
> Just computing the average energy and comparing to a threshold is not
> sifficient since there may be a background noise.

Add a hysteresis.
But it will always be a compromise.

> Is there a lightweight adaptive energy detection algorithm?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ury.

You are looking for
squelch or a noise gate I suppose.

--
Mikolaj
From: Ury on

>>Ury wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I receive a stream of linear 16 bit audio and need to identify the
>>> possibly "interesting" parts vs. plain silence or noise.
>>>
>>> Just computing the average energy and comparing to a threshold is not
>>> sifficient since there may be a background noise.
>>>
>>> Is there a lightweight adaptive energy detection algorithm?
>>
>>A very generic way is compare the long term average to the short term
>>average.
>
>While that is the typical way of expressing the idea, I think "long
term"
>confuses the beginner. I think its more descriptive to say you need to
>compare the medium term average with the short term average. In other
words
>look for surges in the energy above the gently rolling changes typical
of
>background noise.
>
>Steve

What are typical durations for medium term and short term?

Thanks,
Ury.