From: roma_victa on
hi all

The table have lots of duplicate rows except for the last column skills
The skills has diffrent values some rows 'Middle East' and the other rows
'Resident Engineer', 'planner' etc

When the user enters the name and the skills set, he wants to see thouse who
has all the skills set

Table sample

Name Address salary skills
samy d Dubai 1000 manager
samy d Dubai 1000 Resident Engineer
samy r Abu Dhabi 2000 manager
samy r Abu Dhabi 2000 Software

here i want to retry records of which has the name "samy"
and skills Resident Engineer and manager

There is lots of records with the name samy but i want to retry only the samy
with the skills manager and resident Engineer

Please help

From: TheSQLGuru on
1) what do you mean "retry"? can you explain the objective a bit better?

2) if possible, I recommend moving the person information to one table with
a primary key. then put the skills (0-n of them) in a separate table that
has the PK from the person table. this is basic data normalization, which
is something you probably should start learning about.

3) may I ask - is this a homework assignment?

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: roma_victa on
hi this is the view that is given to me
the problem here is I cant do any alteration here in this

the user enter the user name and skills.

There are thousands of records in the view

There are lots of duplicated records in there with the exception of column
"skills"

for excample a record with "samy" "dubai" "1000" is there like 20 times but

only the column ""skills" differs. I need to a query which retrives the samy
with only

the skills specified by the user.

and no its not a school assignment

From: Plamen Ratchev on
Perhaps something like this:

SELECT name, skills
FROM Table
WHERE name = 'samy'
AND skills IN ('Resident Engineer', 'manager');

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com
From: roma_victa on
this is excatly what i have done but this

gives all the "samy" with the which has skills either 'Resident Engineer' or
"manager"

There are lots of rows and as i said there is lots of rows duplicate except
for the column skills

i cant use select * from table where skills = 'Resident Engineer' AND Skills
= 'manager'

Because skills is one column

Using OR will fech the same results as you said