From: Jordi Espasa Clofent on
Hi all,

I've a PHP script which is executed by 'www-data' (the httpd user) local
user in Debian GNU/Linux box. I use this smtpd box as massive mailing
remainder to all of our costumers. Because of that I need to know the
costumers haven't could be contacted, so I want to redirect these
bounces to dedicated mailbox.

That's easy:

www: failed_delivery(a)domain.com

in aliases and rebuild the aliases.

But the problem is local user 'www-data' executes a lof of scripts using
smtpd and I don't want to redirecto all the bounces to mailbox
failed_delivery(a)domain.com.

�Is there any way to establish some pattern disctintion?

For example, let's to suppose that my massive mails are always generated
with FROM: warnings(a)domain.com:

�Can I set up "www: failed_delivery(a)domain.com" in alias when _ONLY_ the
FROM is warnings(a)domain.com?

Thanks in advance.

From: Levente Birta on
I think it is easier to config the return path when you send the mails.

Levi

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Jordi Espasa Clofent <jespasac(a)minibofh.org

From: Jordi Espasa Clofent on
On 04/07/2010 10:43 AM, Levente Birta wrote:
> I think it is easier to config the return path when you send the mails.

Yes, it's easy to insert a mail header as "ReturnPath" when you build
the warning mail using PHP, but I read in RFC2821:

"When the delivery SMTP server makes the "final delivery" of a
message, it inserts a return-path line at the beginning of the mail
data. This use of return-path is required; mail systems MUST support
it. The return-path line preserves the information in the <reverse-
path> from the MAIL command. Here, final delivery means the message
has left the SMTP environment. Normally, this would mean it had been
delivered to the destination user or an associated mail drop, but in
some cases it may be further processed and transmitted by another
mail system."

I don't see cleary that it means the ReturnPath header is intended for
what I'm looking for.
Maybe I'm wrong, of course.

From: ram on
On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 09:47 +0200, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've a PHP script which is executed by 'www-data' (the httpd user) local
> user in Debian GNU/Linux box. I use this smtpd box as massive mailing
> remainder to all of our costumers. Because of that I need to know the
> costumers haven't could be contacted, so I want to redirect these
> bounces to dedicated mailbox.
>
> That's easy:
>
> www: failed_delivery(a)domain.com
>
> in aliases and rebuild the aliases.
>
> But the problem is local user 'www-data' executes a lof of scripts using
> smtpd and I don't want to redirecto all the bounces to mailbox
> failed_delivery(a)domain.com.
>
> �Is there any way to establish some pattern disctintion?
>
> For example, let's to suppose that my massive mails are always generated
> with FROM: warnings(a)domain.com:
>
> �Can I set up "www: failed_delivery(a)domain.com" in alias when _ONLY_ the
> FROM is warnings(a)domain.com?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Do not try to modify any setting in postfix. Set your mass
( massive ?? ) mail application Envelope sender-id to a different
sender-id. All mail servers would send the bounce messages to the
Envelope sender id

Thanks
Ram

From: Noel Jones on
On 4/7/2010 2:47 AM, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've a PHP script which is executed by 'www-data' (the httpd user) local
> user in Debian GNU/Linux box. I use this smtpd box as massive mailing
> remainder to all of our costumers. Because of that I need to know the
> costumers haven't could be contacted, so I want to redirect these
> bounces to dedicated mailbox.
>
> That's easy:
>
> www: failed_delivery(a)domain.com
>
> in aliases and rebuild the aliases.
>
> But the problem is local user 'www-data' executes a lof of scripts using
> smtpd and I don't want to redirecto all the bounces to mailbox
> failed_delivery(a)domain.com.

Use a different envelope sender. Bounces are always returned
to the envelope sender address. To distinguish which
recipient caused the bounce, you can use VERP.