From: Jonathan Cutting on
Hi All,

I've had a look at the manual for bounced mail, and although I can see
that it is possible to customise the mailer-daemon message for bounced
email, I can't see an option to include the bounced mail inline rather
than as an attachment.

We use SugarCRM to send campaigns and it checks a bounce mailbox, but it
checks the message body only. Unfortunately it is configured to look for
an unsubscribe link and identifier which only exists in the original email.

Is it possible to alter the default behaviour?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 06:37:57PM +0100, Jonathan Cutting wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've had a look at the manual for bounced mail, and although I can see that
> it is possible to customise the mailer-daemon message for bounced email, I
> can't see an option to include the bounced mail inline rather than as an
> attachment.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1892
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3462

No, you don't get to wind-back the clock 15 years to the days before MIME
bounces. In-line bounces are an abominable mess, they lack a structured
machine-parseable message/delivery-status part that can be used to
reliably parse the bounce reason. And comingle bounce information with
the original message or headers.

> We use SugarCRM to send campaigns and it checks a bounce mailbox, but it
> checks the message body only. Unfortunately it is configured to look for an
> unsubscribe link and identifier which only exists in the original email.
>
> Is it possible to alter the default behaviour?

The CRM system is broken, not the bounce format. There is no guarantee
that bounces will come only from your system. Even if you "fix" that,
you will still get standards conformant bounces from other systems.

Fix the CRM system, or look for another one.

--
Viktor.

From: Jonathan Cutting on
On 22/05/10 18:50, Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 06:37:57PM +0100, Jonathan Cutting wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've had a look at the manual for bounced mail, and although I can see that
>> it is possible to customise the mailer-daemon message for bounced email, I
>> can't see an option to include the bounced mail inline rather than as an
>> attachment.
>>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1892
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3462
>
> No, you don't get to wind-back the clock 15 years to the days before MIME
> bounces. In-line bounces are an abominable mess, they lack a structured
> machine-parseable message/delivery-status part that can be used to
> reliably parse the bounce reason. And comingle bounce information with
> the original message or headers.
>

>> We use SugarCRM to send campaigns and it checks a bounce mailbox, but it
>> checks the message body only. Unfortunately it is configured to look for an
>> unsubscribe link and identifier which only exists in the original email.
>>
>> Is it possible to alter the default behaviour?
>>
> The CRM system is broken, not the bounce format. There is no guarantee
> that bounces will come only from your system. Even if you "fix" that,
> you will still get standards conformant bounces from other systems.
>
> Fix the CRM system, or look for another one.

Many thanks Viktor, I'll look into patching the CRM,

Jonathan