From: M. Osten on
> The original message was received at Fri, 2 Jun 2006 16:56:16 -0500
> from mailadmin.ispdial.com [162.42.148.122]
>
> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <djscharn(a)iowatelecom.net>
>
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 451 4.3.5 ldap_init/ldap_bind failed to localhost in map ldapmra: Can't
> contact LDAP server
> 451 4.3.5 ldap_init/ldap_bind failed to localhost in map ldapmh: Can't
> contact LDAP server
> 550 5.0.0 <djscharn(a)iowatelecom.net>... User unknown

I use two LDAP maps ldap_routing and access. Recently I have had
problems with openldap running out of file descriptors, but what is
more troubleing is that Sendmail hard bounces when the map is not
available.

Why in the world wouldn't this return a 4xx error to allow for
retransmit?

From: Claus Aßmann on
M. Osten wrote:

> > 451 4.3.5 ldap_init/ldap_bind failed to localhost in map ldapmh: Can't
> > contact LDAP server
> > 550 5.0.0 <djscharn(a)iowatelecom.net>... User unknown
> Why in the world wouldn't this return a 4xx error to allow for
> retransmit?

Maybe because you didn't tell sendmail?

cf/README:

FEATURE(`ldap_routing', <mailHost>, <mailRoutingAddress>, <bounce>,
address is not found in LDAP; the <tempfail> argument, if set to
"tempfail", instructs the rules to give an SMTP 4XX temporary
error if the LDAP server gives the MTA a temporary failure, or if set to

Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous
article(s) at the end because it's annoying, shows that the poster
is too lazy to trim his article, and it's wasting the time of all readers.
From: mega on
Claus

please would you specify those the feature parameters further, as the
README is rather terse

Claus A?mann wrote:
> M. Osten wrote:
>
>>> 451 4.3.5 ldap_init/ldap_bind failed to localhost in map ldapmh: Can't
>>> contact LDAP server
>>> 550 5.0.0 <djscharn(a)iowatelecom.net>... User unknown
>> Why in the world wouldn't this return a 4xx error to allow for
>> retransmit?
>
> Maybe because you didn't tell sendmail?
>
> cf/README:
>
> FEATURE(`ldap_routing', <mailHost>, <mailRoutingAddress>, <bounce>,

What can be used as placeholders for the detail and nodomain arguments?

Thanks

Erich Titl