From: Steve on
Hi,

I am running Sendmail + Spamassassin on a Redhat server

recently I saw that I had a new SPAM comming
I filled in the Spamassassin ( thanks to Webmin )
and I discovered that i was still receiving the spam

Manually I did : service spamassassin restart
and I received :

[root(a)mail ~]# service spamassassin start
Starting spamd: [25933] warn: server socket setup failed, retry 1:
spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Address already in use
[25933] warn: server socket setup failed, retry 2: spamd: could not
create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Address already in use
[25933] error: spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783:
Address already in use
spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Address already in use
[FAILED]
[root(a)mail ~]#

Any idea why now, I cannot start the service ???

thanks for your help
From: Kai Schaetzl on
Steve schrieb am Sun, 30 May 2010 15:07:26 +0200:

> recently I saw that I had a new SPAM comming
> I filled in the Spamassassin ( thanks to Webmin )

Hm, whatever that means. I do not have to "fill in" to stop spam here.

> spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Address already in use

The most likely cause is that either another application is bound to that port
or your spamd is not dead yet. Try again just to start it. If that still fails
"killall spamd" and then start it. If that works your spamd was still running
and you should investigate why it didn't shutdown properly.

Kai
--
Conactive Internet Services, Berlin, Germany

From: Steve on
Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Steve schrieb am Sun, 30 May 2010 15:07:26 +0200:
>
>> recently I saw that I had a new SPAM comming
>> I filled in the Spamassassin ( thanks to Webmin )
>
> Hm, whatever that means. I do not have to "fill in" to stop spam here.
>
>> spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783: Address already in use
>
> The most likely cause is that either another application is bound to that port
> or your spamd is not dead yet. Try again just to start it. If that still fails
> "killall spamd" and then start it. If that works your spamd was still running
> and you should investigate why it didn't shutdown properly.
>

> Kai

Hi Kai,

Apparently, I have no Spamd service running... I just wonder if this is
ran one day ?!?