From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
JonB <jfretby(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> I guess the 'best' stragegy would be to somehow split the queue
> equally between the 80 runners (using a modulo of the queue ID would
> be ideal) - but I can't see any way to do that unless we had queue
> groups (and if we do that - I can't see any way to get sendmail to
> 'round robin' between the queue groups when it receives the mail) -
> only filter to a particular group based on domain, priority etc.

Sendmail can use multiple queue directories even in "default queue group".
I would suggest using
define(`QUEUE_DIRECTORY', `/var/spool/mqueue*')
to allow adding /var/spool/mqueue1, /var/spool/mqueue2, ... to
default/existing /var/spool/mqueue.

As I understand sendmail start separate queue runner(s) per each queue directory.

Adding separate queue groups for "top destinations" would be wise anyway.

URL(s):
http://www.sendmail.org/~gshapiro/8.10.Training/mqueue.html
[source of keywords]

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
Open-Sendmail: http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi(a)onet.eu> wrote:
> JonB <jfretby(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I guess the 'best' stragegy would be to somehow split the queue
>> equally between the 80 runners (using a modulo of the queue ID would
>> be ideal) - but I can't see any way to do that unless we had queue
>> groups (and if we do that - I can't see any way to get sendmail to
>> 'round robin' between the queue groups when it receives the mail) -
>> only filter to a particular group based on domain, priority etc.
>
> Sendmail can use multiple queue directories even in "default queue group".
> I would suggest using
> define(`QUEUE_DIRECTORY', `/var/spool/mqueue*')
> to allow adding /var/spool/mqueue1, /var/spool/mqueue2, ... to
> default/existing /var/spool/mqueue.
>
> As I understand sendmail start separate queue runner(s) per each queue directory.
>
> Adding separate queue groups for "top destinations" would be wise anyway.
>
> URL(s):
> http://www.sendmail.org/~gshapiro/8.10.Training/mqueue.html
> [source of keywords]

<quote src="RELEASE_NOTES">
[...]
8.10.0/8.10.0 2000/03/01
[...]
Support multiple queue directories. To use multiple queues, supply a
QueueDirectory option value ending with an asterisk. For example,
/var/spool/mqueue/q* will use all of the directories or symbolic links
to directories beginning with 'q' in /var/spool/mqueue as queue
directories. Keep in mind, the queue directory structure should not
be changed while sendmail is running. Queue runs create a separate
process for running each queue unless the verbose flag is given on a
non-daemon queue run. New items are randomly assigned to a queue.
Contributed by Exactis.com, Inc.
</quote>

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
It is the nature of extreme self-lovers, as they will set an house on fire,
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
JonB <jfretby(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 8:16 pm, Andrzej Adam Filip <a...(a)onet.eu> wrote:
>
>> You use hoststatus directory to avoid excessive retries to "inaccessible
>> sites", do not you?
>
> We did look at using that - but it caused more issues than it solved,
> firstly because some of the sites we deliver to use load-balancers,
> with a single published MX (not nice - as Sendmail thinks that IP is
> down - and will 'not try again' for some time, when in reality
> subsequent connects are likely to get through).
>
> Also - some sites will return 4xx defers for certain email addresses.
> Sendmail appears to cache this fact, and again - will not even attempt
> the other addresses for that MX for a time period - sure this is
> correct behaviour if the destination MX is having issues but hurts if
> it's just that one destination address thats having issues.
>
> (Infact I've just done another post asking for confirmation about
> Timeout.hoststatus vs. 4xx and 5xx responses in another post).
>
> -Jon

Have you considered using both "queue run by daemon" without hoststatus
and "queue runs from cron" with hoststatus?

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
Open-Sendmail: http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/
Nothing succeeds like success.
-- Alexandre Dumas
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
JonB <jfretby(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 6:45 pm, Andrzej Adam Filip <a...(a)onet.eu> wrote:
>
>> Have you considered using both "queue run by daemon" without hoststatus
>> and "queue runs from cron" with hoststatus?
>
> Hmmm, no - I hadn't... Interesting, though I'm not too sure what that
> will get me...
> [...]

You wrote you can not use it for *some* sites but you can arrange to get
its benefits for most sites :-)

BTW have you considered creating "old-messages" queue group?

sendmail.cf will not put anything in it but your cron scripts will move
a few hours old message to it (e.g. 4h old) using re-mqueue.pl script
from contrib directory in sendmail distribution.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
Open-Sendmail: http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/
Paradise is exactly like where you are right now ... only much, much better.
-- Laurie Anderson