From: bOnK on
mloiterman wrote:

>> Uhh, cd _before_ rm hostname.*
> You think? I did that, but you're too busy trying to correct my
> commands instead of giving useful advice to have noticed.

And where in your OP does it say you did 'cd' before 'rm hostname.*'?

>> FIRST # make install
> You think? I did that, but you're too busy trying to correct my
> commands instead of giving useful advice to have noticed.

And where in your OP does it say you did 'make install' before 'make start'?

>> From the orginal post:
> # killall -9 sendmail
> <snip>
> # rm hostname.*
> # make all
> <snip>
> # cd /etc/mail (just to be sure)
> # make start

>> Because they ARE the same errors! (Time [PID])
> Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Yes, they're the same errors.
> Would you like new ones with different time stamps and PIDs?

One would expect that after (re)starting the server at least the time stamps
would be different. Repeating the the same lines after telling us you
restarted the server isn't very usefull, is it?

>> I do miss an entree about starting the server though.
> make start

One would expect that after (re)starting the server you would get a
*log*entree about that fact.
Since I assumed (wrongfully no doubt) that you did a new tail on the log
after restarting the server, the line "Sep 20 <timestamp> eisenhower
sm-mta[PID]: starting daemon (8.13.3): SMTP+queueing(a)00:30:00" should have
been there.

>> Get rid of the -o (and get a warning when a file is missing)
> And you're telling me this because...? I don't have any missing
> files.

Fine with me, then don't get a warning.
Maybe you're too busy feeling corrected to notice when someone is trying to
offer usefull advice?

--
bOnK

From: mloiterman on
Thanks for knocking down those strawmen.

You have no advice to give other than to point out obvious oversights
in the recreation of my command sequence.

The errors are exactly the same...what difference does the time stamp
make? I'm obviously working in the /etc/mail directory. None of these
commands would work correctly anywhere else.

You've spent a great deal of time trying to fix something that isn't
broken. Unless you can help with the REAL problem (the fact that I
can't get sendmail to listen on a public interface) I would appreciate
if you post your trolls somewhere else.