From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz on
Richard Mealing wrote:
> On Dec 28 2009, 12:33 pm, Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <Jose-
> Marcio.Mart...(a)ensmp.fr> wrote:
>> Richard Mealing wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,

>>> Any comments on my timeouts?
>> I suppose you were inspired by the old edition of bat book chapter on performance tuning.
>>
>> Ther's a bug there. First of all, change the confT0_ICONNECT to it's default value, or simply remove
>> that line.
>
> Really? It's undefined on the sendmail timeout pages, I was told to
> put this quite low to weed out slow hosts.

I understood. This is a hint which appeared in chapter 6 (performance tunning) of Bryan book.

ICONNECT is related to outgoing connections while the other timeouts are related to ingoing connections.

> Why do you say there is a bug and where is this documented?

It's an error in the book. It was probably corrected in the last edition. I found it and pointed it
out to Bryan (who acknowledged). If you don't believe me, you can just drop him a message or buy the
last edition of his book.

From: Richard Mealing on
On Jan 4, 3:46 pm, Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <Jose-
Marcio.Mart...(a)ensmp.fr> wrote:
> Richard Mealing wrote:
> > On Dec 28 2009, 12:33 pm, Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <Jose-
> > Marcio.Mart...(a)ensmp.fr> wrote:

> >> I suppose you were inspired by the old edition of bat book chapter on performance tuning.
>
> >> Ther's a bug there. First of all, change the confT0_ICONNECT to it's default value, or simply remove
> >> that line.
>
> > Really? It's undefined on the sendmail timeout pages, I was told to
> > put this quite low to weed out slow hosts.
>
> I understood. This is a hint which appeared in chapter 6 (performance tunning) of Bryan book.
>
> ICONNECT is related to outgoing connections while the other timeouts are related to ingoing connections.
>
> > Why do you say there is a bug and where is this documented?
>
> It's an error in the book. It was probably corrected in the last edition. I found it and pointed it
> out to Bryan (who acknowledged). If you don't believe me, you can just drop him a message or buy the
> last edition of his book.

>> It's an error in the book. It was probably corrected in the last edition.. I found it and pointed it
>> out to Bryan (who acknowledged). If you don't believe me, you can just drop him a message or buy the
>> last edition of his book.

I totally believe you..

I've tried this and so far so good. I've removed it from all servers
as when removing from the cluster it made no difference. When removing
it from my relay server I now see very minimal connection resets - as
you say it's outbound so this makes sense.

I've also updated sendmail to 8.14.4 now on the clusters. I've had no
notifications of failure for port 25 mail yet but time will tell.

I might update sendmail on the relay server also. Currently I'm on
sasl2-8.14.3.

Thanks so much for your suggestion.