From: Manuel Rodriguez on
Hi,
I have a long plain-text-file (200kb) with a mass-e-mailing:

To: a(a)a.com
Hi, its a nice day
---
To: b(a)b.com
Hi, its a nice day
---
To: c(a)c.com
Hi, its a nice day
---

My aim is to use this as input for sendmail. It looks like spam, but
it isn't -- its my curiculum vitae which i wanna send to 20
corporations. I have read a little bit in the sendmail manual "man
sendmail" but i didn't find a solution. Hints?

Thank you in advance.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Manuel Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a long plain-text-file (200kb) with a mass-e-mailing:
>
> To: a(a)a.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
> To: b(a)b.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
> To: c(a)c.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
>
> My aim is to use this as input for sendmail. It looks like spam, but
> it isn't -- its my curiculum vitae which i wanna send to 20
> corporations. I have read a little bit in the sendmail manual "man
> sendmail" but i didn't find a solution. Hints?
>
> Thank you in advance.
use sendmail (or mail) with a command line of the recipients and the
message in stdin.
From: unruh on
On 2010-05-21, Manuel Rodriguez <aa5(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a long plain-text-file (200kb) with a mass-e-mailing:
>
> To: a(a)a.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
> To: b(a)b.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
> To: c(a)c.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
>
> My aim is to use this as input for sendmail. It looks like spam, but
> it isn't -- its my curiculum vitae which i wanna send to 20

And who says your CV is not spam?
And if you start your message with the above, it sure is spam.

> corporations. I have read a little bit in the sendmail manual "man
> sendmail" but i didn't find a solution. Hints?

mailman?

From: Maxwell Lol on
Manuel Rodriguez <aa5(a)gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
> I have a long plain-text-file (200kb) with a mass-e-mailing:
>
> To: a(a)a.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
> To: b(a)b.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
> To: c(a)c.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
>
> My aim is to use this as input for sendmail.

Create a mailing list.

just add a few lines in your /etc/aliases file like this:

mylist: :include:/etc/lists/addresses
owner-list: your(a)mail.address

where addresses contains
--------------snip-------
a(a)a.com
b(a)b.com
if peoiple reply, it does not go to everyone. Just to you.

Test it first with a few test addresses to make sure.
From: Chris Davies on
Manuel Rodriguez <aa5(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> I have a long plain-text-file (200kb) with a mass-e-mailing:

> To: a(a)a.com
> Hi, its a nice day
> ---
> To: b(a)b.com
> Hi, its a nice day

> My aim is to use this as input for sendmail. [...]

Sendmail won't have a clue about this. It understands individual email
messages and delivers those individually.

Take a look at something like csplit to split the file on the /^---/
pattern, and then a for loop to pipe each message into sendmail. If the
file really does contain this sort of stuff then you'll need to rip out
the To: line (or better, follow it with a blank line).

**UNTESTED** something like this

FROM_ADDR='my.email(a)address'
FROM_NAME='My Name'
SUBJECT='Subject of email message'

csplit -ksz mass-emails-file '/^---/' '{*}'
for F in xx??
do
TO=`head -1 "$F" | sed 's/^To: *//'``
(
echo "From: $FROM_NAME <$FROM_ADDR>"
echo "To: $TO"
echo "Subject: $SUBJECT";
echo
sed 1d "$F"
) | sendmail -f "$FROM_ADDR" "$TO"
rm -f "$F"
done

Most sendmails will automatically add the Date and Message-id fields,
but some won't, so be aware of this potential issue.

I *strongly* recommend you test this without sendmail but with a dummy
script that only pretends to send the email.

Chris

PS What's the relevance of "csv" in the subject?