From: sawyer on
Hello all

I currently have exchange 2007 sp2 setup in production. I have two HT/CAS
servers, and one mbx server. The mbx server has 4 storage groups and 4
databases. I have been tasked with having to do quarterly restores of an
entire database. We currently use a combination of netbackup and snapmanager
for exchange to backup our exchange databases. In order to test out
restoring a database, I want to setup a separate AD forest, install exchange
2007 sp2, and do the restores to the exchange server in the non production
forest. The reasoning for creating a separate forest and installing
exchange, is to avoid any possible mistakes, and possible performance
problems of having to do test restores to the production environment.

My questions is, #1 can I restore a database from a backup that was taken in
the production environment, and restore this database to the exchange server
that is in the backup environment? Would database portability work with
this? and #2 if I can restore the database, can I connect outlook to a
mailbox once the database has been restored?

Many thanks for any suggestions

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:05:58 -0800, "sawyer" <occompguy(a)cox.net> wrote:

>Hello all
>
>I currently have exchange 2007 sp2 setup in production. I have two HT/CAS
>servers, and one mbx server. The mbx server has 4 storage groups and 4
>databases. I have been tasked with having to do quarterly restores of an
>entire database. We currently use a combination of netbackup and snapmanager
>for exchange to backup our exchange databases. In order to test out
>restoring a database, I want to setup a separate AD forest, install exchange
>2007 sp2, and do the restores to the exchange server in the non production
>forest. The reasoning for creating a separate forest and installing
>exchange, is to avoid any possible mistakes, and possible performance
>problems of having to do test restores to the production environment.
>
>My questions is, #1 can I restore a database from a backup that was taken in
>the production environment, and restore this database to the exchange server
>that is in the backup environment? Would database portability work with
>this? and #2 if I can restore the database, can I connect outlook to a
>mailbox once the database has been restored?
>
>Many thanks for any suggestions

Whilst you can use a separate test forest I would suggest that using
the RSG would be quicker and use less hardware.
If you used a full AD backup and recovered your proper Exchange into
your test forest you wouldn't need to bother with DbP since everything
would be the right name.
From: sawyer on
I have heard about this, so you are saying ( and correct me if I am wrong)
take a system state backup of the current AD database in production, then
restore this system state backup to a DC in the backup environment? Doing
this will make the backup environment mirror production?

Would I wait to install exchange into the backup environment after or before
I restored the AD database from production to backup? also I what about
names like the forest name and DC name, of the backup environment? I would
think these would need to be the same? and if so it sounds like it would be
very important that there is network segmentation to prevent the two forest
from being able to talk with one another, does this sound correct?

Many thanks

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:01:04 -0800, "sawyer" <occompguy(a)cox.net> wrote:

>I have heard about this, so you are saying ( and correct me if I am wrong)
>take a system state backup of the current AD database in production, then
>restore this system state backup to a DC in the backup environment? Doing
>this will make the backup environment mirror production?

Yup

>Would I wait to install exchange into the backup environment after or before
>I restored the AD database from production to backup? also I what about
>names like the forest name and DC name, of the backup environment? I would
>think these would need to be the same? and if so it sounds like it would be
>very important that there is network segmentation to prevent the two forest
>from being able to talk with one another, does this sound correct?

After obviously because without that system state recovery there is no
AD to install Exchange into. Yeah, segmenting your lab environment is
"IT Pro 101"

From: sawyer on
I understand there needs to be AD before I can install Exchange, but wouldn't
I have to install exchange in the backup lab using the disaster recover
switch? The backup forest will already know it has exchange 2007 running in
the forest, but no exchange servers have actually been created yet, so
because of this I would think I would need to install exchange using the DR
switch ?