From: "Gary" on

"Floyd Resler" <fresler(a)adex-intl.com> wrote in message

On Jul 12, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Gary wrote:

> I'm sure it is possible, but I am unsure how to do this. I have created a
> Sale coupon that I was going to put up on a site that I manage, for
> visitors
> to print out and bring to the store. The coupon is currently a .png,
> however
> I was planning on converting to a pdf. I would like to put on the coupon
> serial number that increases by 1 everytime the page is viewed. I dont
> really care if someone refreshes the page and skews the numbers.
>
> Is this possible and could someone give me some help?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary

Is there any particular reason you need it to be a PDF? If not and the GD
library is installed in your PHP, I would suggest using the GD library to
draw your serial number on the coupon. As for keeping track of the counter
I would do it either in a database table or save the number to file.

Take care,
Floyd

Floyd

Thanks for your reponse.

No real reason that the file has to be a pdf, that was my original plan
before I came up with the counter idea.. I also thought it might not be as
difficult to put the script on a pdf.

I have used the GD library in the past, so it is installed on the server,
however I dont know how to apply to this situation..

After I posted the question, the thought came to me to simply create the
coupon in html and include a simple counter, like a hit counter, but since I
had the png already created, I was hoping there was a way to include the
script on it instead of recreating in html/php.

Gary

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5273 (20100712) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: "Gary" on

"Ashley Sheridan" <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 14:52 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> I'm sure it is possible, but I am unsure how to do this. I have created
>> Sale coupon that I was going to put up on a site that I manage, for
>> visitors
>> to print out and bring to the store. The coupon is currently a .png,
>> however
>> I was planning on converting to a pdf. I would like to put on the coupon
>> serial number that increases by 1 everytime the page is viewed. I dont
>> really care if someone refreshes the page and skews the numbers.
>>
>> Is this possible and could someone give me some help?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Gary

>> signature database 5273 (20100712) __________

>> http://www.eset.com
>>

> You need some indicator on your server to keep track of the number. To
> me, the ideal solution would appear to be a MySQL database. You can set
> up a table with an auto_increment field and use the id generated from
> that.
>
> Two things to maybe note:
>

> 1. Don't use MAX(id) in a query to get the next auto value, use
> something like mysql_insert_id() instead. The MAX() method is
> just a race condition waiting to happen.
> 2. If you expect a lot of traffic, then consider setting this table
> to use the InnoDB engine instead of MyIsam which is usually the
> default. This allows MySQL to apply row-level locking instead of
> table-level, which can improve performance when PHP has to wait
> for MySQL.
>

> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Ashley

Thanks for your reply.

I was not going to go to the trouble of calling the AI number from a
database, although that is an interesting concept.

The question really becomes "How to insert into an image" I could just write
a simple hit counter and create a new php/html page, but since the image
(coupon) was already created, I thought it would be easier, not to mention
expand my abilities.

It is a small shop and if they get 100 coupons, they will be extatic, so it
will not kill us if it were too much trouble.

I have gone to using InnoDB as my standard table, mainly for the foreign
key ability, but I do keep reading that there are more and more advantage to
using is over Myisam.

Thanks again for your reply.

From: "Gary" on

""Daevid Vincent"" <daevid(a)daevid.com> wrote in message
>> I'm sure it is possible, but I am unsure how to do this. I
>> have created a
>> Sale coupon that I was going to put up on a site that I
>> manage, for visitors
>> to print out and bring to the store. The coupon is currently
>> a .png, however
>> I was planning on converting to a pdf. I would like to put
>> on the coupon a
>> serial number that increases by 1 everytime the page is
>> viewed. I dont
>> really care if someone refreshes the page and skews the numbers.
>>
>> Is this possible and could someone give me some help?
>
> Is there a reason you need to increment by 1? I mean, are you going to
> validate the coupon someone brings in to see if it's in the database or is
> used already? Since you say you don't care if the number is skewed, it
> sounds as if you don't care about the code either really.
>
> Point being, why not just use md5(time()) or uniqid() or something and
> make
> some truly unique code (that you may or may not wish to store in a DB).
> This will be obscure enough the average person won't know that it isn't
> tracked and most likely won't try to make their own. If I saw 123457, I'm
> pretty sure I could make a coupon with 123500 on it. But if I saw
> 6ccd780c-baba-1026-9564-0040f4311e29 then I'm not really going to try and
> fudge one of those. Then I'd use the barcode library to print the code
> (again, doesn't have to actually work if you're not going to do a lookup)
> just to add more "realizm" to it. There are a billion different ways to
> make a unique ID. Even IF you are going to track them, you really
> shouldn't
> do a sequential code as you originally wanted to do.
>
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.uniqid.php
> http://php.net/manual/en/function.com-create-guid.php
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.mssql-guid-string.php
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.md5.php
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.sha1.php
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.hash.php
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.time.php
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/miscellaneous-functions.html#functio
> n_uuid
>
> Heck, you could even just use ip2long() on their IP address and then when
> someone "redeems" the coupon code, a simple long2ip() would tell you if
> it's a valid "IP" format rather than some hacked up string.
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.ip2long.php
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.long2ip.php
>
> Daevid.
> http://daevid.com
>
> "Some people, when confronted with a problem, think 'I know, I'll use
> XML.'"
> Now they have two problems.

Daevid

Thanks for your reply.

The numbers are not for show, we are not trying to make it seem like we have
thousands of coupons. We are going to use the numbers to guage how many
times people see the coupon and to see how many it takes before we have
someone show up to use it, but dont really care if someone gets a kick out
of hitting the refresh button 10 or 20 times to watch the number go up.

I was going to start the number at 72010001 (July 2010, 001) and if someone
figured out what it was, we dont really care. As I mentioned, it is a small
shop (one man show) that the site gets and average of 350 visits per month
(which he is very happy with over what he had).

Although I do like the idea of using there ip address...

Thanks for your reply and all the links.

From: Paul M Foster on
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 02:52:39PM -0400, Gary wrote:

> I'm sure it is possible, but I am unsure how to do this. I have created a
> Sale coupon that I was going to put up on a site that I manage, for visitors
> to print out and bring to the store. The coupon is currently a .png, however
> I was planning on converting to a pdf. I would like to put on the coupon a
> serial number that increases by 1 everytime the page is viewed. I dont
> really care if someone refreshes the page and skews the numbers.
>
> Is this possible and could someone give me some help?

Doing this in a PDF is pretty easy. Check out the FPDF library. It's
pretty lightweight. I print invoices to PDF all the time, so I have to
insert numbers into PDFs created by FPDF. Check the documentation.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster