From: Paul on
Hi I am trying to run a query from query analyzer using SELECT * FROM
OPENROWSET but I get the error
The server could not load DCOM. I was just wondering what the solution may
be on this?
I have some sql 2005 components installed as well as SQL2000.
Thanks.
--
Paul G
Software engineer.
From: Steen Schlüter Persson (DK) on
Paul wrote:
> Hi I am trying to run a query from query analyzer using SELECT * FROM
> OPENROWSET but I get the error
> The server could not load DCOM. I was just wondering what the solution may
> be on this?
> I have some sql 2005 components installed as well as SQL2000.
> Thanks.

Hi Paul

Is that the exact error message you get?

I've had (and still has) similar issues when trying to retrieve data
from linked servers. One thing to check is that MSDTC is enabled and
configured correctly in the remote server. Take a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817064/ to see if that applies to you.
Another thing is if you run the query on a SQL2005 instance against a
linked server running SQL2000. Here you might need to manually run an
upgrade script on the SQL2000 instance to make it work. If I'm not
mistaken, it's this link that tells about it -
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa215459(SQL.80).aspx

--
Regards
Steen Schlüter Persson
From: Paul on
Hi I rebooted the machine and it seems to work now, wondering if a service
did not start up properly.
--
Paul G
Software engineer.