From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

>>> No, it will only be set (to $SAGE_ROOT/...) if it was unset or
>>> null,
>>
>> At least that is what happens in bash 4.1.2(1). Thanks.
>
> That's what happens with *any* Bourne-type shell.

So you have tested them *all*? For a line in SUSv2+ does not need to mean
that all "Bourne-type" shells support it. (For me, it suffices to know
that the current bash and POSIX-compliant shells support it like that.)

Please trim your quotes to the relevant minimum.

PointedEars
From: Barry Margolin on
In article <1862438.nKmheAe9J7(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>
> > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> >> At least that is what happens in bash 4.1.2(1). Thanks.
> >
> > That's what happens with *any* Bourne-type shell.
>
> So you have tested them *all*? For a line in SUSv2+ does not need to mean
> that all "Bourne-type" shells support it. (For me, it suffices to know
> that the current bash and POSIX-compliant shells support it like that.)

I think this has been part of Bourne-style shells for decades, since
before POSIX and SUS existed. They simply wrote down what was already a
de facto standard.

If it doesn't work in any particular shell, I'd claim that it's either
not Bourne-style or it has a bug.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Geoff Clare on
Bill Marcum wrote:

>> Please, what is SUSv3?
>>
> Single Unix Specification, version 3.
> The SUSv3 standard is practically the same as POSIX, [...]

The only difference between SUSv3 and POSIX.1-2001 is that
SUSv3 includes an XCurses volume that is not in POSIX.1-2001.
Likewise for SUSv4 and POSIX.1-2008.

--
Geoff Clare <netnews(a)gclare.org.uk>