Prev: output?
Next: Shallow copy
From: MC on
How are sets generally implemented in STL. I have read they are
implemented as BST, are they some kind of balanced BST like Red Black
trees?

From: Zeljko Vrba on
On 2010-08-08, MC <manan.chopra(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> How are sets generally implemented in STL. I have read they are
> implemented as BST, are they some kind of balanced BST like Red Black
> trees?

The standard specifies only complexity requirements: insertion and
search must
be O(log n) (in the number of elements already in the tree) worst-case.
Thus,
e.g., both red-black trees and AVL trees qualify.

From: Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente on
On 08/08/10 05:05, MC wrote:
> How are sets generally implemented in STL. I have read they are
> implemented as BST, are they some kind of balanced BST like Red Black
> trees?

AFAIK, yes, Red Black Trees are one of the most common implementations
for sets, maps and alikes. There are also AVL implementations out there,
that you can google for.

JP

From: Mathias Gaunard on
On Aug 8, 4:05 am, MC <manan.cho...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> How are sets generally implemented in STL. I have read they are
> implemented as BST, are they some kind of balanced BST like Red Black
> trees?

It's necessarily some kind of self-balancing binary tree since that's
the only way to provide the complexity guarantees that are required.
Implementations typically use a red-black tree or an AVL tree.

From: Daniel T. on
MC <manan.chopra(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> How are sets generally implemented in STL. I have read they are
> implemented as BST, are they some kind of balanced BST like Red Black
> trees?

Yes.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2