From: Lenny on
I am using Excel to develop some forms for my company. Once the master is
completed, it will be uploaded to a server and users will access it from a
repository. Do macros and vb code work the same in Excel as in Word? (i.e.,
..dot to doc). Once the employee downloads the master, can they share the
file while retaining the vb code or custom toolbars or do you run into the
same problems as in Word
From: joel on

You should avoid sharing a workbook at all costs. You probably want to
have a template file that gets copies to the users workspace and let
them work of of the copy of the file.

What I would do is to create a batch file with a shortcut. When a user
need to use the template the batch file will copy the template to the
users local workspace and open the excel file. The template would
contain the macro and any standard formating of the worksheet that is
required. then if you need to make changes you can change the template
and the users will get the changes the next time they run the batch
file.

If you need to share data between different employees I would store the
data into an Access Database. Then from excel hae a macro that saves
the data to the Access Database and another macro which queries the
database and fills in the excel workbook.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/chat.php

From: Lenny on
"lenny" replied: Joel - my thanks... though I think I was too simplistic.
My company stores all electronic form templates (word, excel) on a server.
Our IT department sets up each computer so the 'templates' are accessed thru
each of the programs FILE>NEW. I have been setting up Word templates for
years and understand the relationship between the master or user group
template and the saved .doc. Excel as a vehicle for e-forms is relatively
new. I'm trying to understand if Excel has the same relationship with it's
child files as word, especially in regards to vb programming.

The code, when written or copied into the vb editor of a .xls file, seems to
stay put, but I noticed that the custom toolbar I created in the .xls file
disappeared from the VIEW>TOOLBARS dropdown. I read in an obit that custom
toolbars do not pass with the files created off the master template. Are key
combinations lost also?

Regares - Lenny

From: joel on

I not really an expert on Menues and Ribbons. I haven't need to do
this type programming. What I have seen other people do is use workbook
open macros to setup the menus and ribbons for workbooks. Each type
workbook would contian specific macros depending on the application. I
also have seen people use workbook close macro to remove the menues and
ribbons when the workbook is closed.