From: g on
On 7/2/2010 9:30 PM, Salad wrote:

> No. For me, a table consists of fields. In a datasheet display, the
> fields are the columns, the rows consist of a related set of fields. So
> if a table in word has 1 row or two rows of 5000 rows, it would make to
> difference to me...I'd simply add a record, update the fields, and
> update the table by committing the add.
>
> Is your word table 1 column?

No, but I am reading only the last column of each table in Word as I
need only that data.

And each row of the word table is a column
> in a database field?

Yes, each row of the word table has a corresponding field in the Access
table.
So, for table 1 in word I have five database fields, for table 2 another
five fields and so on.

> I don't know. Did you read the link I presented?

I went over the part Extracting Data from Word Tables Programmatically
in the link
and my issue is not how to extract from Word to Access table. That is
done. Issue is about the inconsistent way rows are present in word table
for which there is no corresponding database field.

> Have you used the Split() function before?

Yes, but in this case it is not that which is being incorrectly used.

My issue is it once the data is in Access, can it be manipulated in some
way like in Excel you can add an empty column, between two columns
having data and then move the rightmost column data leftwards in the
newly created column. I can alter the table structure to add another
column, but the data still needs to be moved to the right database field.

Thanks for your advice.

From: Salad on
g wrote:
> On 7/2/2010 9:30 PM, Salad wrote:
>

>> No. For me, a table consists of fields. In a datasheet display, the
>> fields are the columns, the rows consist of a related set of fields. So
>> if a table in word has 1 row or two rows of 5000 rows, it would make to
>> difference to me...I'd simply add a record, update the fields, and
>> update the table by committing the add.
>>
>> Is your word table 1 column?
>

> No, but I am reading only the last column of each table in Word as I
> need only that data.
>
> And each row of the word table is a column
>
>> in a database field?
>

> Yes, each row of the word table has a corresponding field in the Access
> table.
> So, for table 1 in word I have five database fields, for table 2 another
> five fields and so on.
>
>> I don't know. Did you read the link I presented?
>

> I went over the part Extracting Data from Word Tables Programmatically
> in the link
> and my issue is not how to extract from Word to Access table. That is
> done. Issue is about the inconsistent way rows are present in word table
> for which there is no corresponding database field.
>
>> Have you used the Split() function before?
>

> Yes, but in this case it is not that which is being incorrectly used.
>
> My issue is it once the data is in Access, can it be manipulated in some
> way like in Excel you can add an empty column, between two columns
> having data and then move the rightmost column data leftwards in the
> newly created column. I can alter the table structure to add another
> column, but the data still needs to be moved to the right database field.
>
> Thanks for your advice.

Since a record/row can have 255 fields, you can make as many fields as
you like. You could even add a "NumCols" field to indicate the number
of columns necessary for the row. (Ex: Dmax or a GroupBy query).

You could then roll your own SQL and present the rows/cols that you need
via a query.

Or maybe you could present the data using a CrossTab query.

I notice you cross post. Is there a reason why? FYI, sometime in the
very near future the microsoft.public newgroups are going away.
From: g on
On 7/3/2010 1:36 AM, Salad wrote:
> g wrote:
>> On 7/2/2010 9:30 PM, Salad wrote:
>>

>>> No. For me, a table consists of fields. In a datasheet display, the
>>> fields are the columns, the rows consist of a related set of fields. So
>>> if a table in word has 1 row or two rows of 5000 rows, it would make to
>>> difference to me...I'd simply add a record, update the fields, and
>>> update the table by committing the add.
>>>
>>> Is your word table 1 column?
>>

>> No, but I am reading only the last column of each table in Word as I
>> need only that data.
>>
>> And each row of the word table is a column
>>
>>> in a database field?
>>

>> Yes, each row of the word table has a corresponding field in the
>> Access table.
>> So, for table 1 in word I have five database fields, for table 2
>> another five fields and so on.
>>
>>> I don't know. Did you read the link I presented?
>>

>> I went over the part Extracting Data from Word Tables Programmatically
>> in the link
>> and my issue is not how to extract from Word to Access table. That is
>> done. Issue is about the inconsistent way rows are present in word
>> table for which there is no corresponding database field.
>>
>>> Have you used the Split() function before?
>>

>> Yes, but in this case it is not that which is being incorrectly used.
>>
>> My issue is it once the data is in Access, can it be manipulated in
>> some way like in Excel you can add an empty column, between two
>> columns having data and then move the rightmost column data leftwards
>> in the newly created column. I can alter the table structure to add
>> another column, but the data still needs to be moved to the right
>> database field.
>>
>> Thanks for your advice.
>>
> Since a record/row can have 255 fields, you can make as many fields as
> you like. You could even add a "NumCols" field to indicate the number of
> columns necessary for the row. (Ex: Dmax or a GroupBy query).
>
> You could then roll your own SQL and present the rows/cols that you need
> via a query.

Thanks for the suggestions.

> Or maybe you could present the data using a CrossTab query.

I will look into this option. I have to generate a report using the data
when a button on the form is clicked.

> I notice you cross post. Is there a reason why? FYI, sometime in the
> very near future the microsoft.public newgroups are going away.

You mean I post to comp.databases.ms-access and microsoft.public.access
at the same time? I do it because some people read only one forum and
others another so I guess if I post in both, I can get advice from both
people.

Thanks for your advice and time.