From: billzinn on
Suddenly, after this past weekend (when ostencibly no one was in the office),
a client who uses Office 2007 Pro on her XP Pro machine has had a strange
'issue' with several 'shortcuts' to specific Excel worksheets on their
server...
Where once she could simply 'double-click' on the desktop shortcut to this
file, now suddenly it says "file cannot be found. Are you sure you typed the
name correctly... (yadda-yadda-yadda)"...
I've verified all he suggestions I've found about clearing the check in
"Ignore other programs that use DDE"... and 'dumping' temp files, etc. - and
yes, the files DO indeed 'reside' in the location the shortcut points to...
yet this continues to happen.
AS I say - prior to this past weekend, these shortcuts worked fine - but
that was then and this is now, I guess...
BTW: even though the file has an ".xls" file extension, the initial error
message says it cannot find the file but it is apparently 'looking for' this
file name WITH an ".xlsx" file extension...(some users in the office have not
yet been 'upgraded' to Office 2007 yet, so we must preserve Office '97- 2003
compatibility for these users ... and yes, I know... that's what the
'compatibility' update is for... and yet I'm at a loss to understand why they
don't simply install that "Office 2007 Compatibility" package so they don't
have to do this. But, Hey - I'm just the computer guy - they don't HAVE to
listen to me... and often they certainly don't...).
What's even more strange: After acknowledging the two error messages that
say it cannot find the file, it DOES actually open the correct file from the
server... and it has the ".xls" file extension on this file ...
Short of doing 'drastic' things like un-installing and re-installing Office
OR 'blowing away' Windows in it's entirety and 'starting from scratch'...
SURELY the vast amount of knowledge in this forum MUST be able to show us
some way of 'fixing' this....
Any help out there...??