From: Archimedes Plutonium on

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
> Peano Axioms have been around for about 150 years now. They are at the
> heart of
> mathematics. But they are so seriously flawed, both in definition and
> conception
> that it is a wonder they lasted for 150 years without changes. This
> post is going to be
> a picture summary, showing the reader what the Peano Axioms produce
> and the
> major flaws of those axioms.
>
> I leave it to the reader to look up the Peano Axioms and Wikipedia
> gives a good
> summary.
>
> The Peano Axioms produces this set called the Natural Numbers:
>
> {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, .. 99, 100, 101, .. 9999, 10000, 10001, ... }
>
> Where the ellipsis of two-dots indicates a finite string of numbers
> and
> ellipsis three-dots indicates a infinite string of numbers.
>
> Every member or element of the set of Peano Natural Numbers is a
> "finite number".
>
> Peano never defined "finite number" nor have any of his followers ever
> given
> a precise definition of "finite".
>
> Peano and his followers, thus, assumed the definition of a "Finite
> number" to
> be a number in which its leftward string of digits is all zeroes to
> infinity. Example:
> the number 9999 is finite because it is 0000...009999.
>
> AP established that the endless adding of 1, or what Peano called the
> Successor
> Axiom actually delivers this set, instead of the set shown above:
>
> {0, 000...001, 000...002, 000...003, ... , 00999...999,
> 00999...998, ... , 999...997, 999...998,
> 999...999}
>
> And AP defines Finite as to the largest number known to Physics where
> there is no longer
> any physical measurement or experiment to conduct on numbers larger
> than that specified
> number. These are known as the Planck Units and the largest is about
> 10^500 which signifies
> the Coulomb Interactions in element 109.
>
> So to AP the Counting Numbers Set looks like this:
>
> {0, 000...001, 000...002, 000...003, . . 10^500, ... , 00999...999,
> 00999...998, ... , 999...997, 999...998, 999...999}
>
> Alright, I have everything established in a picture to explain, now,
> why Peano Axioms
> are seriously flawed and inconsistent and contradictory.
>
> Peano followers run with two hidden assumptions:
> (i) that every Peano Natural Number is a "finite number"
> (ii) assume the definition of finite-number as a number ending in an
> infinite string
> of zeroes leftward such as 81234 is finite because it is 000...0081234
>
> First Contradiction of Peano followers: Since they assumed the
> definition of
> finite-number as leftward string of zeroes. Then according to Peano
> Followers, the numbers like 00999...999 become ambiguous. The number
> [...]

In this template post which I will repost and repost with
improvements, I need to
discuss a few concepts that Peano and his followers never had, never
recognized
in their 150 year lifespan of the Peano Axioms. If Peano and his
followers had had
these concepts some 150 years ago, then I doubt that the Peano Axioms
would
have been as flawed and mired as they were.

Here again is Peano's set of Natural Numbers according to his axioms:
{0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ... }

Notice that the ellipsis of three-dots masks more than it reveals. The
ellipsis
indicates that the numbers are unbounded and go to infinity.

But now look again at AP's set of Natural Numbers:

{0, 000...001, 000...002, 000...003, ... , 999...999}

Notice that the set is infinite but it has a FrontView and a BackView
and that
the "infinity portion" is in between the FrontView and BackView. The
idea is that
we tuck infinity into the middle and can talk about both ends. We can
talk about the
Frontview of a Real Number and talk about the BackView of a Hensel p-
adic. So there
is no problem in combining both the FrontView with the BackView for
numbers or for
sets of numbers.

So these concepts were not available to Peano and his followers:
(a) Frontview and BackView
(b) infinity in the middle

Now if Peano and his followers had discovered FrontView and BackView,
would
they have made their mistakes of inconsistency? Would they have
realized that
they assumed what "finite" meant? Would they have realized that the
Successor
Axiom of endless adding of 1 entails a number such as 999...9999 had
to exist
in their set of all Natural Numbers?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium