From: Henry Stock on
Can anyone tell me why Silverlight will not work with AMD processors?

Silverlight can't be loaded with my AMD Athalon CPU and I asked about
some of the newer AMD CPUs. The retailer told me not to expect to be
able to use Silverlight.

It seems kind of dumb to build a technology that cuts out a sizable
portion of the market.

From: Brian Cryer on
"Henry Stock" <henry(a)the-stocks.org> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me why Silverlight will not work with AMD processors?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=silverlight+amd

Silverlight requires the SSE instruction set and some of the older AMD
processors don't provide this. (Presumably this is a problem with older CPUs
not just AMD ones.)

FYI: SSE = Streaming SMID Extensions - see
http://everything.explained.at/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions/ for details.

> Silverlight can't be loaded with my AMD Athalon CPU and I asked about some
> of the newer AMD CPUs. The retailer told me not to expect to be able to
> use Silverlight.

Should be fine with a newer CPU - if in doubt check that the processor
supports SSE. If it doesn't work with your retailers PCs then they are
probably shifting old stuff, so go somewhere else.

> It seems kind of dumb to build a technology that cuts out a sizable
> portion of the market.

Agreed, but I'm sure the developers had what seemed like good reasons at the
time.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Registered User on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:52:31 -0400, "Henry Stock"
<henry(a)the-stocks.org> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me why Silverlight will not work with AMD processors?
>
>Silverlight can't be loaded with my AMD Athalon CPU and I asked about
>some of the newer AMD CPUs. The retailer told me not to expect to be
>able to use Silverlight.

Check
http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/3805/311563.aspx
for details about the why? Note the date of the thread as being August
2007.

>It seems kind of dumb to build a technology that cuts out a sizable
>portion of the market.

Apparently there were no problems with RC1 and AMD's new (as of 2007)
Athalon XP processor.

regards
A.G.