From: Jason Stewart on
From: Mason Kelsey on

I see no point in getting into a spitting contest over which OS is best or
whether open source is better than commercially available software. All OS
have their limitations, just as all languages do too. I just consider it
the mark of a professional programmer to work with any environment. I have
had experience working in a UNIX environment, when I worked for Bank of
America and later as a contractor for Schwab. Working with vi, a
mode controlled line editor, was not a pleasant experience, since I was used
to a full screen editor, like TSO on an IBM mainframe. Because of that
experience, I don't consider any OS to be the ultimate OS. I've worked
through more than 10 in my career. Programmers, myself included, tend to
like and think superior what they are used to. So it is understandable that
programmers trained in academic environments that expose the student to only
UNIX would tend to succumb to a UNIX bias. The obvious gravity of open
source code is that it is FREE (although not to the developer). Academic
environments, looking for ways to be cost effective, would naturally welcome
open source. But students usually don't realize that a professor's bias can
also cover up the professor's ignorance of other systems. So a UNIX bias
can become a self-perpetuating bias, just as a Windows bias can do the same
thing. After all, it does take a lot of time and energy to become
comfortable with another system. Yet the world changes in unexpected
ways and leaves those who think that their OS is the center of the
world with less job opportunities. The best heuristics seem to be "Be
Adaptable" and "Don't waste your time scorning an OS for whatever reason".
I am happy that you enjoy working with UNIX.

I think the best solution to my original question, although I have not
verified it yet, is to move from SciTE to a commercially available IDE for
the Windows environment. I checked the SCiTE forum and found that I was not
the only person puzzled and put off by the gets limitation, and that it
wasn't just a Windows issue. SciTE was a freebie that downloads when I
installed Ruby on my Windows XP system and it has its limitations that I
immediately ran into. Thanks again, for your comments. Yeah, 2nd
edition. The world changes as we speak.

No Sam

From: S.D on
On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 23:59:57 +0900
> [...]

> > helpful to navigate around the code.
> >

> > > I did mean page 203, where the gets command is used, without the $stdin.
> > > Page 230 is about SQLite.
> > >

> > Then I would guess you have the 2nd edition, which you neglected to
> > mention.
> >

> > > that
> > > the gets command does not work from within SciTE.
> > >

> > You have a gui, Scite, that is trying to run another gui, a dos command
> > window, in another thread. In my experience, open source text editors
> > often have trouble doing that, and then throw in windows, and you have a
> > recipe for disaster. You do know how eff'ed up windows is don't you?
> >

> > > But, finally, you say there is a SciTE forum!? Great! I just did a
> > > Google
> > > search to find it myself. It is at
> > > http://www.nabble.com/SciTE-f14248.html for
> > > anyone who is interested. I will be taking my question there.

For a great (ableit, a long) read on this topic, check out:

http://adam.shand.net/iki/library/in_the_beginning_was_the_command_line/

Morlocks and Eloi, what a great analogy!

--
S.D <s.d(a)comcast.net>

P.S. credit to Dave Thomas, Chad Fowler and Andy Hunt- Programming Ruby 1.9, for this reference

From: spiralofhope on
On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:18:36 +0900
Siep Korteling <s.korteling(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> This however does work:
>
> STDOUT.sync = true #no buffering

Aha! I don't use Scite any more, but when I did I always wondered why
I could never 'gets' user input. Thanks.

--
http://spiralofhope.com

From: Aldric Giacomoni on
So now we've changed to "What's a good editor for Ruby". I'll chip in
with my usual two answers:
For a good, free, open-source, cross-platform IDE, use Netbeans. For the
same but as an extendable text editor.. Use gVim :) I think you may like
Netbeans better.