From: Michael A. Terrell on

PeterD wrote:

> Ah, you know what they say: "Make it more expensive if no one wants it
> at the current price..."

It worked for my uncle when he sold his farm back in the '50s. No
one wanted his mules for $25 each, so he waited a few weeks and offered
them for $75 each. They sold the same day.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Mark Zacharias on
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> PeterD wrote:
>>
>> Ah, you know what they say: "Make it more expensive if no one wants it
>> at the current price..."
>

> It worked for my uncle when he sold his farm back in the '50s. No
> one wanted his mules for $25 each, so he waited a few weeks and offered
> them for $75 each. They sold the same day.

I sometimes see this on eBay. Never understood it really, though I'm sure it
works sometimes.

There was a really beautiful Yokogawa 5.5 digit multimeter which failed to
sell at 199.00 so the seller relisted at 299.00 then finally at 399.00.

Never did sell as far as I know...

Mark Z.

From: PeterD on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 07:26:47 -0500, "Mark Zacharias"
<mark_zacharias(a)sbclobal.net> wrote:

>"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> PeterD wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah, you know what they say: "Make it more expensive if no one wants it
>>> at the current price..."
>>

>> It worked for my uncle when he sold his farm back in the '50s. No
>> one wanted his mules for $25 each, so he waited a few weeks and offered
>> them for $75 each. They sold the same day.
>>

>I sometimes see this on eBay. Never understood it really, though I'm sure it
>works sometimes.
>
>There was a really beautiful Yokogawa 5.5 digit multimeter which failed to
>sell at 199.00 so the seller relisted at 299.00 then finally at 399.00.
>
>Never did sell as far as I know...
>
>Mark Z.

I'm trying to sell an old Lawn Tractor. Listed on craig's list for
$275. If it doesn't sell next week, I'm raising the price to $399.
From: Michael A. Terrell on

Mark Zacharias wrote:

> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > PeterD wrote:
> >>
> >> Ah, you know what they say: "Make it more expensive if no one wants it
> >> at the current price..."
> >

> > It worked for my uncle when he sold his farm back in the '50s. No
> > one wanted his mules for $25 each, so he waited a few weeks and offered
> > them for $75 each. They sold the same day.
> >

> I sometimes see this on eBay. Never understood it really, though I'm sure it
> works sometimes.
>
> There was a really beautiful Yokogawa 5.5 digit multimeter which failed to
> sell at 199.00 so the seller relisted at 299.00 then finally at 399.00.
>
> Never did sell as far as I know...

Another true story: I was at the Dayton hamfest about 25 years ago
when a friend walked up and saw people buying a lot of things from me.
He said he had a lot of the same things, and hadn't sold anything. I
had another friend watch my stuff while we went to his tables. I saw
his problem, right away. Everything was too cheap. To a lot of people
it said, that the merchandise was either defective or stolen, and they
wouldn't touch it. I ripped up all his price tags and wrote new tags.
He was telling me that I was crazy, but people started buying his parts
& equipment, so I headed back to my spot.

He came back at the end of the day to tell me that he had sold almost
everything, but he still couldn't understand what happened. I explained
how I priced my merchandise at hamfests: You make a quick trip around
the market, looking at prices. If i saw something for $2 in one spot
and $5 at another I would split the difference. That would be $3.50, so
I would round it up to $4.00 to keep from needing too much change. It
also gave me a little room to dicker, since people would want to knock a
dollar off of two, at that price. :)

I went to one hamfest with a $20 bill, and $35 worth of equipment. By
the end of the day I had made over $200, and had a van full of used test
equipment and parts. I had sold everything in the first 15 minutes, so
I went out and spent all the money. I couldn't leave till the event was
over, so I just sat behind my van to talk to friends as they passed.
People saw what I had bought, and didn't care that I had sold out of
everything. They offered me more than what the purchases were worth to
me, so I sold it all. I went out again, and spent all the money, then
went back to my truck. I was cleaned out again, and made one last trip
to buy stuff for my shop.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.