From: Dave -Turner on
Say I've encrypted a string with a monoalphabetic cipher (so I haven't used
a polyalphabetic cipher to begin with nor do I want to at any stage)

What are some simple things I can do to throw off frequency analysis?

From: Dave -Turner on
For example, with every byte ...
if byteaddress mod 2 = 1 then
rotate the bits left by x
else
rotate the bits right by x
endif

Obviously i'm not after guaranteed security here, just simple ways to add a
decent level of frequency analysis protection with minimal code (the above
example is no doubt a poor one :) as the data being encrypted isn't of high
importance

From: rossum on
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 06:35:50 +0800, "Dave -Turner" <admin(a)127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>Say I've encrypted a string with a monoalphabetic cipher (so I haven't used
>a polyalphabetic cipher to begin with nor do I want to at any stage)
>
>What are some simple things I can do to throw off frequency analysis?

Have more characters of cypher than plain so the frequent letters can
have more than one cypher representation. For example there might be
four different ways to encypher 'E' with only one way to encipher 'Z'.

Use an unexpected language, Navaho or Welsh for instance.

Use a lot of angslay.

rossum

From: Dave -Turner on
> Use an unexpected language, Navaho or Welsh for instance.

Cheers rossum, but I should've mentioned that I just want to do this in
simple programming code (basic/assembly level kinda thing, not native Indian
:)

From: unruh on
On 2010-01-07, Dave -Turner <admin(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> Say I've encrypted a string with a monoalphabetic cipher (so I haven't used
> a polyalphabetic cipher to begin with nor do I want to at any stage)
>
> What are some simple things I can do to throw off frequency analysis?

Given your requirements, nothing. A monoalphabetic cypher means that
each letter in the source maps to a unique letter in the final. If there
are more E in the source there will be more C(E) in the final.
Now, you could do something like
O_i=C(O_(i-1) ^ M_i)
where M is the message, M_i is the ith letter, C is the substitution
cypher, and ^ is some invertible combination of the two letters (eg
addition mod (Number of letters in the alphabet), XOR,....)