From: aruzinsky on
On Feb 10, 10:40 am, aruzinsky <aruzin...(a)general-cathexis.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 7:03 pm, pnachtwey <pnacht...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have a good way of simulating sample jitter?
> > I want to beef up my simulations.  Normal distribution isn't good
> > enough because the distribution isn't skewed and it doesn't allow one
> > to have a zero probability at 0 and almost 0 at some point in the
> > future like 25 microseconds and then be able to adjust the where the
> > peak probability is in between like at 6 microseconds.
>
> > Gamma or Beta distributions may work but they required a whole lot of
> > calculations which slow down a simulation.  Also they are hard to
> > scale.
>
> > I have seen articles on the topic not specifically about the
> > simulation function used, at least not good ones.
>
> > Peter Nachtwey
>
> Jitter PSFs are often, if not typically, spatially variant.
>
> Spatial variance can be seen in this example:http://www.general-cathexis.com/images/DSC00115.png

Sorry, I thought I was in the image processing group.
From: Baron on

"pnachtwey" <pnachtwey(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody have a good way of simulating sample jitter?
> I want to beef up my simulations. Normal distribution isn't good
> enough because the distribution isn't skewed and it doesn't allow one
> to have a zero probability at 0 and almost 0 at some point in the
> future like 25 microseconds and then be able to adjust the where the
> peak probability is in between like at 6 microseconds.
>
> Gamma or Beta distributions may work but they required a whole lot of
> calculations which slow down a simulation. Also they are hard to
> scale.
>
> I have seen articles on the topic not specifically about the
> simulation function used, at least not good ones.
>
> Peter Nachtwey

we usually modeled Jitter as a flat distribution

From: Tim Wescott on
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:03:56 -0800, pnachtwey wrote:

> Does anybody have a good way of simulating sample jitter? I want to beef
> up my simulations. Normal distribution isn't good enough because the
> distribution isn't skewed and it doesn't allow one to have a zero
> probability at 0 and almost 0 at some point in the future like 25
> microseconds and then be able to adjust the where the peak probability
> is in between like at 6 microseconds.
>
> Gamma or Beta distributions may work but they required a whole lot of
> calculations which slow down a simulation. Also they are hard to scale.
>
> I have seen articles on the topic not specifically about the simulation
> function used, at least not good ones.
>
> Peter Nachtwey

It sounds like you know the _way_ you want to simulate jitter, but are
looking for good distributions to use that won't bring your simulation
speed to it's knees -- is this correct?

You could probably get by with something approximate -- what about a
three or four point, piecewise linear function that operates on a uniform
RV such as you'd get from 'rand'?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
From: pnachtwey on
On Feb 10, 4:26 pm, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:03:56 -0800, pnachtwey wrote:
> > Does anybody have a good way of simulating sample jitter? I want to beef
> > up my simulations.  Normal distribution isn't good enough because the
> > distribution isn't skewed and it doesn't allow one to have a zero
> > probability at 0 and almost 0 at some point in the future like 25
> > microseconds and then be able to adjust the where the peak probability
> > is in between like at 6 microseconds.
>
> > Gamma or Beta distributions may work but they required a whole lot of
> > calculations which slow down a simulation.  Also they are hard to scale.
>
> > I have seen articles on the topic not specifically about the simulation
> > function used, at least not good ones.
>
> > Peter Nachtwey
>
> It sounds like you know the _way_ you want to simulate jitter, but are
> looking for good distributions to use that won't bring your simulation
> speed to it's knees -- is this correct?

Yes

> You could probably get by with something approximate -- what about a
> three or four point, piecewise linear function that operates on a uniform
> RV such as you'd get from 'rand'?
>
> --www.wescottdesign.com
OK, I have found out that what I am trying to do is not something
that is cook book. I will probably using the technique Vladimir
suggested where a random number generated is used to generate a number
between 0 to 1 and then use that to index into a cumulative
distribution function ( CDF ) that provides a profile I like that
provides delays of 0 to say 25 microseconds with a peak around 6
microseconds.

I agree that the distribution may be multi modal but like Tim said I
don't to slow down my simulation too much.

Peter Nachtwey

From: dave y. on
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:03:56 -0800 (PST), pnachtwey
<pnachtwey(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Does anybody have a good way of simulating sample jitter?
>I want to beef up my simulations. Normal distribution isn't good
>enough because the distribution isn't skewed and it doesn't allow one
>to have a zero probability at 0 and almost 0 at some point in the
>future like 25 microseconds and then be able to adjust the where the
>peak probability is in between like at 6 microseconds.
>
>Gamma or Beta distributions may work but they required a whole lot of
>calculations which slow down a simulation. Also they are hard to
>scale.
>
>I have seen articles on the topic not specifically about the
>simulation function used, at least not good ones.
>
>Peter Nachtwey

You might consider the Weibull distribution. It's quite simple, being
defined by an exponential function, it's one sided, and it has a
'slope' parameter that yields a variety of distribution shapes.

dave y.