From: Dave Nadler on
Hi All - We're using an ARM7TMDI-based chip for
an upcoming project. We'd like to be able to simulate
the complete system including:
- our own simulation of LCD, buttons, etc
- serial IO simulation (file redirection and/or
connection to our peripheral simulators)
- simulation of connected devices via I2C, SPI
- easy "console" redirection for printf-style debug
- ideally with a scripting interface or overlay
to run test scripts

It needs to be reliable. We do not need cycle-accurate
simulation, but we do need the instruction set to work...
We need to be able to add our own peripheral simulation
components easily.

There are several ARM emulators out there.
Anybody have personal experience using one
of these to do something similar ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Windows or Linux host.
From: hamilton on
On 5/4/2010 6:57 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
> Hi All - We're using an ARM7TMDI-based chip for
> an upcoming project. We'd like to be able to simulate
> the complete system including:
> - our own simulation of LCD, buttons, etc
> - serial IO simulation (file redirection and/or
> connection to our peripheral simulators)
> - simulation of connected devices via I2C, SPI
> - easy "console" redirection for printf-style debug
> - ideally with a scripting interface or overlay
> to run test scripts
>
> It needs to be reliable. We do not need cycle-accurate
> simulation, but we do need the instruction set to work...
> We need to be able to add our own peripheral simulation
> components easily.
>
> There are several ARM emulators out there.
> Anybody have personal experience using one
> of these to do something similar ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your inputs,
> Best Regards, Dave
>
> PS: Windows or Linux host.

The Keil compiler and IDE has a fairly robust simulator.

How much is your budget ??

hamilton
From: Dave Nadler on
On May 4, 12:05 pm, hamilton <hamil...(a)nothere.com> wrote:
> On 5/4/2010 6:57 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
>

> > Hi All - We're using an ARM7TMDI-based chip for
> > an upcoming project. We'd like to be able to simulate
> > the complete system including:
> > - our own simulation of LCD, buttons, etc
> > - serial IO simulation (file redirection and/or
> >    connection to our peripheral simulators)
> > - simulation of connected devices via I2C, SPI
> > - easy "console" redirection for printf-style debug
> > - ideally with a scripting interface or overlay
> >    to run test scripts
>
> > It needs to be reliable. We do not need cycle-accurate
> > simulation, but we do need the instruction set to work...
> > We need to be able to add our own peripheral simulation
> > components easily.
>
> > There are several ARM emulators out there.
> > Anybody have personal experience using one
> > of these to do something similar ?
>
> > Thanks in advance for your inputs,
> > Best Regards, Dave
>
> > PS: Windows or Linux host.
>
> The Keil compiler and IDE has a fairly robust simulator.
>
> How much is your budget ??
>
> hamilton

The customer's budget permits use of Keil tools ;-)

Is the Keil simulator appropriate for what we need
to do ? Have you used it in this manner (extended it
with your own peripherals, etc) ?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Best Regards, Dave
From: Paul Gotch on
Dave Nadler <drn(a)nadler.com> wrote:
> Is the Keil simulator appropriate for what we need
> to do ? Have you used it in this manner (extended it
> with your own peripherals, etc) ?

You can download an evaluation version of the Keil tools by filling in
the form at:

https://www.keil.com/demo/eval/arm.htm

In terms of extending the simulator please read

http://www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_154.asp

-p
--
Paul Gotch
From: Dave Nadler on
On May 4, 4:47 pm, Paul Gotch <pa...(a)at-cantab-dot.net> wrote:
> Dave Nadler <d...(a)nadler.com> wrote:
> > Is the Keil simulator appropriate for what we need
> > to do ? Have you used it in this manner (extended it
> > with your own peripherals, etc) ?
>
> You can download an evaluation version of the Keil tools by filling in
> the form at:
>
> https://www.keil.com/demo/eval/arm.htm
>
> In terms of extending the simulator please read
>
> http://www.keil.com/appnotes/docs/apnt_154.asp
>
> -p
> --
> Paul Gotch

Thanks Paul. Has anybody out there had first-hand
experience using this, or any other ARM simulator,
in the manner we need ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Best Regards, Dave