From: glird on
On Oct 10, 9:52 am, PD wrote:
> mpc755 wrote:
> > I understand exactly what is
> > occurring in Einstein's Train
> > Thought experiment.
>
> Not as Einstein explained it, no you > don't.
>
> You understand the MPC Train Thought
> Experiment, which is something
> completely different than the
> Einstein Train Thought Experiment.

Yes.

> << Lightning strikes at A/A' and B/B' behave exactly like the waves of
pebbles dropped into stationary pools of water on the train and
stationary pools of water on the embankment.
If there are stationary pools on the train and on the embankment, the
waves the pebbles create from A and B reaches M and the light from A'
and B' reaches M' simultaneously.
If there are stationary pools on the train and on the embankment, the
light waves from A and B reach M and the light wave from A' and B'
reach M' simultaneously. >>

> See? That's the MPC Train Thought
> Experiment, not the Einstein one.

PD is right. In Einstein's, A and A' coincide when a given ray hits
point AA', and B and B' coincide when ray 2 hits BB'. In MPC's, A and
A' are different points than each other in 3-d space and so are b and
B'.
In Einstein, the space between AA' and BB' is empty and light moves
at c wrt to it while the train - thus points A', B' and midpoint M' -
moves to the right at v. in mpc, a luminiferous aether is trapped
within the moving train and is therefore moving wrt to the outside
aether taken as at rest wrt the embankment.
Therefore, as PD said, mpc's conclusions are unrelated to
Einstein's.

BTW, this gedanken experiment by Einstein is to the layman, and
doesn't explain why simultaneity is relative to the states of motion
of different observers' clocks.

glird

them ir point

From: mpc755 on
On Oct 10, 10:48 am, glird <gl...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 9:52 am, PD wrote:
>
> > mpc755 wrote:
> > > I understand exactly what is
> > > occurring in Einstein's Train
> > > Thought experiment.
>
> > Not as Einstein explained it, no you > don't.
>
> > You understand the MPC Train Thought
> > Experiment, which is something
> > completely different than the
> > Einstein Train Thought Experiment.
>
>  Yes.
>
> > << Lightning strikes at A/A' and B/B' behave exactly like the waves of
>
> pebbles dropped into stationary pools of water on the train and
> stationary pools of water on the embankment.
>  If there are stationary pools on the train and on the embankment, the
> waves the pebbles create from A and B reaches M and the light from A'
> and B' reaches M' simultaneously.
>  If there are stationary pools on the train and on the embankment, the
> light waves from A and B reach M and the light wave from A' and B'
> reach M' simultaneously. >>
>

> > See? That's the MPC Train Thought
> > Experiment, not the Einstein one.
>
>   PD is right. In Einstein's, A and A' coincide when a given ray hits
> point AA', and B and B' coincide when ray 2 hits BB'. In MPC's, A and
> A' are different points than each other in 3-d space and so are b and
> B'.
>  In Einstein, the space between AA' and BB' is empty and light moves
> at c wrt to it while the train - thus points A', B' and midpoint M' -
> moves to the right at v. in mpc, a luminiferous aether is trapped
> within the moving train and is therefore moving wrt to the outside
> aether taken as at rest wrt the embankment.
>   Therefore, as PD said, mpc's conclusions are unrelated to
> Einstein's.
>
>   BTW, this gedanken experiment by Einstein is to the layman, and
> doesn't explain why simultaneity is relative to the states of motion
> of different observers' clocks.
>
> glird
>
>  them ir point

It makes no difference if the points A and A' coincide side-by-side or
not in Einstein's Train Thought Experiment.

Saying it makes a difference shows your limited understanding of the
Einstein's Train Thought Experiment.

The only thing that matters in Einstein's Train Thought Experiment is
the flash at A/A' occurring in a single instant and the flash of light
at B/B' occurring in a single instant and for A and B to be equi-
distant from M and for A' and B' to be equi-distant from M' and for
the distance from A to M and B to M to be the same as the distance
from A' to M' and B' to M'.

Let me ask you about Einstein's Train Thought Experiment with the
following variation. As described in the above sentence, if there is
are simultaneous lightning strikes at A and A' and there are
simultaneous lightning strikes at B and B', if the light from A and B
reaches M simultaneously does the light from A' and B' reach M'
simultaneously? And in terms of simultaneous, I am referring to any
frame of reference. In other words, from the perspective of an
observer on the embankment, if the light from A and B reaches the
observer at M simultaneously, does the light from the lightning
strikes at A' and B' reach M' simultaneously?
From: PD on
On Oct 10, 10:48 am, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 10:48 am, glird <gl...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> > > Not as Einstein explained it, no you > don't.
>
> > > You understand the MPC Train Thought
> > > Experiment, which is something
> > > completely different than the
> > > Einstein Train Thought Experiment.
>
> >  Yes.
>
> > > << Lightning strikes at A/A' and B/B' behave exactly like the waves of
>
> > pebbles dropped into stationary pools of water on the train and
> > stationary pools of water on the embankment.
> >  If there are stationary pools on the train and on the embankment, the
> > waves the pebbles create from A and B reaches M and the light from A'
> > and B' reaches M' simultaneously.
> >  If there are stationary pools on the train and on the embankment, the
> > light waves from A and B reach M and the light wave from A' and B'
> > reach M' simultaneously. >>
>
> > > See? That's the MPC Train Thought
> > > Experiment, not the Einstein one.
>
> >   PD is right. In Einstein's, A and A' coincide when a given ray hits
> > point AA', and B and B' coincide when ray 2 hits BB'. In MPC's, A and
> > A' are different points than each other in 3-d space and so are b and
> > B'.
> >  In Einstein, the space between AA' and BB' is empty and light moves
> > at c wrt to it while the train - thus points A', B' and midpoint M' -
> > moves to the right at v. in mpc, a luminiferous aether is trapped
> > within the moving train and is therefore moving wrt to the outside
> > aether taken as at rest wrt the embankment.
> >   Therefore, as PD said, mpc's conclusions are unrelated to
> > Einstein's.
>
> >   BTW, this gedanken experiment by Einstein is to the layman, and
> > doesn't explain why simultaneity is relative to the states of motion
> > of different observers' clocks.
>
> > glird
>
> >  them ir point
>
> It makes no difference if the points A and A' coincide side-by-side or
> not in Einstein's Train Thought Experiment.
>
> Saying it makes a difference shows your limited understanding of the
> Einstein's Train Thought Experiment.

No, I'm sorry, now you're using sentences that Ken Seto uses, and Ken
Seto is insane.

It's you that doesn't understand the Einstein gedanken.

> The only thing that matters in Einstein's Train Thought Experiment is
> the flash at A/A' occurring in a single instant

And at a single location.

> and the flash of light
> at B/B' occurring in a single instant

And at a single location.

> and for A and B to be equi-
> distant from M and for A' and B' to be equi-distant from M' and for
> the distance from A to M and B to M to be the same as the distance
> from A' to M' and B' to M'.
>
> Let me ask you about Einstein's Train Thought Experiment with the
> following variation.

Why don't we take up the variation after you've correctly understood
the unvaried case?

From: mpc755 on

From: Bruce Richmond on
On Oct 10, 11:58 am, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 10:48 am, glird <gl...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> > > Not as Einstein explained it, no you > don't.
>
> > > You understand the MPC Train Thought
> > > Experiment, which is something
> > > completely different than the
> > > Einstein Train Thought Experiment.
>
> >  Yes.
>
> > > << Lightning strikes at A/A' and B/B' behave exactly like the waves of
>
> > pebbles dropped into stationary pools of water on the train and
> > stationary pools of water on the embankment.
> >  If there are stationary pools on the train and on the embankment, the
> > waves the pebbles create from A and B reaches M and the light from A'
> > and B' reaches M' simultaneously.
> >  If there are stationary pools on the train and on the embankment, the
> > light waves from A and B reach M and the light wave from A' and B'
> > reach M' simultaneously. >>
>
> > > See? That's the MPC Train Thought
> > > Experiment, not the Einstein one.
>
> >   PD is right. In Einstein's, A and A' coincide when a given ray hits
> > point AA', and B and B' coincide when ray 2 hits BB'. In MPC's, A and
> > A' are different points than each other in 3-d space and so are b and
> > B'.
> >  In Einstein, the space between AA' and BB' is empty and light moves
> > at c wrt to it while the train - thus points A', B' and midpoint M' -
> > moves to the right at v. in mpc, a luminiferous aether is trapped
> > within the moving train and is therefore moving wrt to the outside
> > aether taken as at rest wrt the embankment.
> >   Therefore, as PD said, mpc's conclusions are unrelated to
> > Einstein's.
>
> >   BTW, this gedanken experiment by Einstein is to the layman, and
> > doesn't explain why simultaneity is relative to the states of motion
> > of different observers' clocks.
>
> > glird
>
> >  them ir point
>
> It makes no difference if the points A and A' coincide side-by-side or
> not in Einstein's Train Thought Experiment.
>
> The only thing that matters in Einstein's Train Thought Experiment is
> the flash at A/A' occurring in a single instant and the flash of light
> at B/B' occurring in a single instant and for A and B to be equi-
> distant from M and for A' and B' to be equi-distant from M' and for
> the distance from A to M and B to M to be the same as the distance
> from A' to M' and B' to M'.

You were ok up to the last part. The flashes met at M'. They can
only meet at one point on a line between the two strikes, and that one
point is where M is. M' was not with M when the flashes arrived, so
he did not see the flashes at the same instant. IOW he saw the
flashes at different times. Since the strikes at A' and B' were equal
distances from M' the strikes must have happen at different times.

In the frame of M' the strike at the front of the train happen first,
M' passed by M, and then the strike at the back of the train happen.
By the time the strike at the back of the train happen the front had
moved beyond where its strike happen. So the distance between A' and
B' is greater than the distance between A and B. You only think they
are the same distance because M says the two strikes happen at the
same time.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: chrouc
Next: Synergetics coordinates and Wikipedia