From: jeniffer on
I have a few questions aregarding size optimization :
1. I have already applied the linux kernel Tiny patch but I need to
further reduce the size of the kernel.Any suggestions?
2. Is there a tool with low memory footprint to find out the dynamic
memory usage of applications during runtime?Applications like
iptables,ebtables etc that cannot be made to run in background?
3. Is there any freeware tool that helps find unused functions
correctly by parsing some huge C/C++ source code?

Any suggestions would be welcome.Thanks.

From: Hadron on
"jeniffer" <zenith.of.perfection(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I have a few questions aregarding size optimization :
> 1. I have already applied the linux kernel Tiny patch but I need to
> further reduce the size of the kernel.Any suggestions?
> 2. Is there a tool with low memory footprint to find out the dynamic
> memory usage of applications during runtime?Applications like
> iptables,ebtables etc that cannot be made to run in background?
> 3. Is there any freeware tool that helps find unused functions
> correctly by parsing some huge C/C++ source code?

-Wunused-function is a gcc option which you could consider for (3)
From: PoD on
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 03:32:34 -0700, jeniffer wrote:

> I have a few questions aregarding size optimization :
> 1. I have already applied the linux kernel Tiny patch but I need to
> further reduce the size of the kernel.Any suggestions?
> 2. Is there a tool with low memory footprint to find out the dynamic
> memory usage of applications during runtime?Applications like
> iptables,ebtables etc that cannot be made to run in background?
> 3. Is there any freeware tool that helps find unused functions
> correctly by parsing some huge C/C++ source code?
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.Thanks.

I've never used it but you might look at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libraryopt/

From: Jim Jackson on
In comp.arch.embedded jeniffer <zenith.of.perfection(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Is there a tool with low memory footprint to find out the dynamic
> memory usage of applications during runtime?Applications like
> iptables,ebtables etc that cannot be made to run in background?

Why would you run the iptables program in the background? And what
difference to memory usage would it make?

The iptables program simply loads configuration data into the kernel
to control the kernel's netfilter functions.

From: Robert Redelmeier on
In comp.os.linux.development.system jeniffer <zenith.of.perfection(a)gmail.com> wrote in part:
> I have a few questions aregarding size optimization :
> 1. I have already applied the linux kernel Tiny patch but I need to
> further reduce the size of the kernel.Any suggestions?

Use an older kernel. 2.4 uses less RAM than 2.6 .

> 2. Is there a tool with low memory footprint to find out the dynamic
> memory usage of applications during runtime?Applications like
> iptables,ebtables etc that cannot be made to run in background?

`ps` and `top` are the standards. They do multiple-count
shared usage (libs).

> 3. Is there any freeware tool that helps find unused functions
> correctly by parsing some huge C/C++ source code?

Your compiler should issue warnings. Then you can lump all
the unused functions together to avoid wasting parts of pages.
Optimizing the library (find a good one) can be done to
the same end.

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Mini_Distributions/
http://www.linuxrouter.org/

may give you some ideas.