From: Sylvain Robitaille on
Robby Workman wrote:

> Leave root's umask at 0022, and/or switch to root properly from
> your user account, and/or manually set umask to 0022 before using
> one of the build scripts. This is NOT a problem with the scripts,

With all due respect, Robby, I would like to argue that the scripts
should explicitly set any environment that they require to produce a
proper package. That should certainly include, at a minimum, the umask
the script expects to run with (and the PATH environment where any
commands used should be found).

It isn't at all reasonable for any script repository to dictate what the
user's "root" environment (including umask and PATH) should be, and it's
much more efficient and much less error-prone if that is setup in each
script rather than the user needing to remember to set it prior to
calling these scripts.

That said, I know that I'm suggesting a large number of scripts be
modified, but I would ask whether these will perpetually be cast in
stone, regardless of any errors or oversights that might be found, just
because of the sheer number of them? I certainly don't believe that is
the intention, and what's presented here seems to me to simply be an
easily corrected oversight.

Sylvain Robitaille syl(a)encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada