From: Grant on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:48:05 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones <luck(a)dasteem.invalid> wrote:

>Responding to Sylvain Robitaille:
>
>> Robby Workman wrote:
>>
>>> Leave root's umask at 0022, and/or switch to root properly from your
>>> user account, and/or manually set umask to 0022 before using one of the
>>> build scripts. This is NOT a problem with the scripts,
>>
>> With all due respect, Robby, I would like to argue that the scripts
>> should explicitly set any environment that they require to produce a
>> proper package. That should certainly include, at a minimum, the umask
>> the script expects to run with (and the PATH environment where any
>> commands used should be found).
>>
>> It isn't at all reasonable for any script repository to dictate what the
>> user's "root" environment (including umask and PATH) should be, and it's
>> much more efficient and much less error-prone if that is setup in each
>> script rather than the user needing to remember to set it prior to
>> calling these scripts.
>>
>> That said, I know that I'm suggesting a large number of scripts be
>> modified, but I would ask whether these will perpetually be cast in
>> stone, regardless of any errors or oversights that might be found, just
>> because of the sheer number of them? I certainly don't believe that is
>> the intention, and what's presented here seems to me to simply be an
>> easily corrected oversight.
>

>I'm seeing the same logics here.
>
>No biggie, but something that could be improved.

Sure, could be improved, but SBo follow same rules as Slackware, that
root environment is known, and Robby W. confirms that. I guess 'they',
the Slack team, don't see looking after the not-so-bright user as very
important. In my view Slackware is a very good second distro, after
one knows about the bad things other distros do to make this sort of
thing a whole lot worse.

The rpm dependency net that refuses to allow package removal is something
Slackware avoids by keeping things very simple.

Switching to real root to create packages? I don't like it, but it's
what slackware expects and is built on. Didn't somebody use fakeroot
to get over that issue? Or some chroot jail? I forget details.

Grant.
From: Helmut Hullen on
Hallo, Sylvain,

Du meintest am 15.07.10:

> The script that creates the packages should not assume even that it
> has root privilege. In more cases than not, the only purpose for
> that privilege is so the ownership of the contents of the created tar
> file can be predictable.

I've tried running "cmus.SlackBuild" (you remember: Dario mentioned that
packet as "broken") under a non-root-account: didn't work.

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

From: Helmut Hullen on
Hallo, Sylvain,

Du meintest am 15.07.10:

>> I've tried running "cmus.SlackBuild" ... under a non-root-account:
>> didn't work.

> "didn't work" is not a useful report.

168 messages

chown: changing ownership of `./some_file': Operation not permitted

And "/tmp/SBo/package-cmus" is empty.

> I haven't read that script so I don't know where it requires root
> privilege. Most require it only for the benefit of "chown", for
> which I've already posted the solution I use in my own scripts.

That's ok.
But Mario has told he had compiled "cmus" and it had produced strange
errors - he hasn't yet told how he had worked. I can't reproduce the
errors he's mourning about.

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

From: Grant on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:29:29 +0000 (UTC), Sylvain Robitaille <syl(a)alcor.concordia.ca> wrote:

>+Alan Hicks+ wrote:
>
>> I think you have a valid point, at least for the umask. Setting PATH
>> isn't necessarily a bad idea either. Both of these could be added to
>> our template without causing any problems that I can foresee.
>
>Thank you. That's certainly a step towards making your scripts more
>robust.
>
>> With that said, I don't see us going back and changing working scripts
>> because after several years of SBo one mental midgit experienced a
>> failure caused by his lack of understanding and bitched about it.
>
>I don't think you should let personal opinions (or the fact that the
>person reporting the problem has turned the discussion into his personal
>flamewar) interfere with the technical issues at hand. Robby Workman
>already pointed out that such an edit could be scripted, thus making it
>relatively trivial to fix existing scripts, ensuring that future users
>would not run into the same problem. Assuming it really is that simple,
>I see no solid reason why you wouldn't go ahead and fix existing
>scripts. Otherwise, perhaps all you need is the help of a few trusted
>volunteers?
>
>> Hundreds or thousands of people have used SBo scripts over the past
>> years and only this 1 person has ever complained of the problem.
>
>That may be true. What it does is explain why such a thing could have
>been overlooked for so long, though, rather than suggest that the
>problem isn't real, or that existing scripts couldn't benefit from the
>fix.
>
>> I just don't see a justification for editing a large volume of
>> existing scripts for such a trivial and rare problem.
>
>Full disclosure: I encountered a similar problem early on in my own use
>of (third-party) SlackBuild scripts. I can't recall for sure whether it
>was from a script from SlackBuilds.org, one of Robby's, one of Eric's or
>"other", but that doesn't matter. It caused me to look for the cause of
>the problem at that time, and of course the fix made it into the
>template I use for my own scripts.

Yes, there were some teething issues, nothing serious enough to make
the FAQ?

Should something gained from all this flamage be added to the FAQ?

>Now, with all of that said, what SlackBuilds.org does with its existing
>scripts is up to the folks that are represented by SlackBuilds.org. I
>have no personal investment in the matter, except to hope that by
>proposing this fix I've helped make these scripts more usable for more
>people in the long term.

And to answer something you asked upthread, adding SBo accessories is
a bit different from the initial install, because the environment is
no longer controlled as it is during the install. I think that's what
I was trying to say, when writing about 'real' root login vs the
various 'fake' root logins that might cause trouble.

Still no fix for broken packages though ;)

I'm trying to remember too, which part of the installer requires that
old, particular version of tar? Or was that issue fixed when the new
compression method was added?

Grant.
From: Grant on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 04:46:56 +0000 (UTC), Sylvain Robitaille <syl(a)alcor.concordia.ca> wrote:

>Grant wrote:
>
>> Yes, there were some teething issues, nothing serious enough to make
>> the FAQ?
>
>Not that I saw, but if you have text to propose, it certainly should be
>considered.
>
>> Should something gained from all this flamage be added to the FAQ?
>
>We may end up arguing over what the "answer" to the question should be,
>or maybe even how the question should be worded.
>
>Note that Alan's point comes to mind, that this really has not been a
>frequently encountered issue (and therefore not a "frequently asked
>question").

Yes, that's what many of us were trying to say early on, 'snot a problem,
move on...

>> And to answer something you asked upthread, adding SBo accessories is
>> a bit different from the initial install, because the environment is
>> no longer controlled as it is during the install.
>
>I don't recall asking it, but yes, I agree with your point here.
>
>> I think that's what I was trying to say, when writing about 'real'
>> root login vs the various 'fake' root logins that might cause trouble.
>
>My point was that there isn't anything "fake" or "not real" about
>euid=0. You still have root privilege. The idea of "login as root to
>get a 'known' environment" implies a decree that one will never change
>the default environment of the root account. I don't think that's a
>scalable approach.

That's what I mean by the observation that one can expect a known root
environment only during the install. So adding accessories should do
the additional checks or changes you suggested early on? I'm agreeing
with you now, where before I didn't see why one would change root post
install.

>> I'm trying to remember too, which part of the installer requires that
>> old, particular version of tar?
>
>I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it has to do with the options used in
>installpkg when calling tar. I imagine there was some functionality
>that was deemed necessary, but had been removed from later versions of
>tar. I've not studied the matter, since it has always worked fine as it
>is.
>
>> Or was that issue fixed when the new compression method was added?
>
>Try this:
>
> xzcat /path/to/some-package.txz | tar-1.13 tvf -
>
>That's one of the reasons having "packages" be simple tar files is a
>really good thing. :-)

Okay, point taken (by inspection ;)

Grant.