From: Bru++ on
Hello all!

I'm having a trouble on testing Slackware 13 on a virtual machine. I
tried all the voodoo I know using kernel parameters to fix something
which may be wrong, but I'm unsuccessful. I have never used Slackware
13, and I want to test it on a VM before upgrading my 12.2 to it, so I
want to know if Slackware 13 uses a "silent" kernel or something else,
because it simply don't show anything on the screen after the "Booting
the kernel" message.

And it seems to be a kernel problem, because the following tests I've
made:
1) I get an old 12.0 CD and booted it up;
2) After booting, I replaced the ramdrive root filesystem content by
extracting 13.0 CD initrd(/isolinux/initrd.img)
3) I installed Slackware 13;
4) I tried to boot with the 13.0 default kernel, after installing lilo
on the MBR(unsuccessful);
5) Booting the 12.0 CD and passing root= parameter boots my system ok;

Does anybody know what can be changed on the slackware's default
kernel config in order to put it to work on my machine? The system's
dmesg is at http://www.bruno.inf.br/dmesg_slack12kernel.txt

Thank you!
From: Grant on
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:43:37 -0700 (PDT), "Bru++" <thbmatrix(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello all!
>
>I'm having a trouble on testing Slackware 13 on a virtual machine. I
>tried all the voodoo I know using kernel parameters to fix something
>which may be wrong, but I'm unsuccessful. I have never used Slackware
>13, and I want to test it on a VM before upgrading my 12.2 to it,

I'd like to make a suggestion for next time you reformat or upgrade the
hard drive.

Make room for a second OS install primary partition.

Why?

Because you can a) upgrade to new OS version without fears of upsetting
existing working system; b) you have a source of modified local .conf
files to reference when setting up the new OS; c) if all else fails, you
can easily revert back to previous version OS.

Later, you can use the prior OS partition for new OS, repeat as needed :)

It's not a new concept, it's the parallel upgrade method one might use
for rollout of a new <whatever> info system.

Here, I use three primaries, one for windoze (if wanted on the box) and
two for slackware, fourth is extended, and the HDD logical area is divvied
up according to box use: smaller often used data areas first, then the
larger archive areas down at the slow end of the drive (HDD sustained
data transfer rate has near 2:1 speed difference between start and end
of drive).

I don't have an answer for your immediate VM issue, I did run slack-
current before 13.0 in a vmware VM but I don't remember any issues.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Bru++ on
On 27 abr, 18:25, Grant <o...(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:43:37 -0700 (PDT), "Bru++" <thbmat...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hello all!
>
> >I'm having a trouble on testing Slackware 13 on a virtual machine. I
> >tried all the voodoo I know using kernel parameters to fix something
> >which may be wrong, but I'm unsuccessful. I have never used Slackware
> >13, and I want to test it on a VM before upgrading my 12.2 to it,
>
> I'd like to make a suggestion for next time you reformat or upgrade the
> hard drive.
>
> Make room for a second OS install primary partition.
>
> Why?
>
> Because you can a) upgrade to new OS version without fears of upsetting
> existing working system; b) you have a source of modified local .conf
> files to reference when setting up the new OS; c) if all else fails, you
> can easily revert back to previous version OS.
>
> Later, you can use the prior OS partition for new OS, repeat as needed :)
>
> It's not a new concept, it's the parallel upgrade method one might use
> for rollout of a new <whatever> info system.
>
> Here, I use three primaries, one for windoze (if wanted on the box) and
> two for slackware, fourth is extended, and the HDD logical area is divvied
> up according to box use: smaller often used data areas first, then the
> larger archive areas down at the slow end of the drive (HDD sustained
> data transfer rate has near 2:1 speed difference between start and end
> of drive).
>
> I don't have an answer for your immediate VM issue, I did run slack-
> current before 13.0 in a vmware VM but I don't remember any issues.
>
> Grant.
> --http://bugs.id.au/

Please, forgive me if I don't explained it well, but I'm sure you
misunderstood me... I said I installed it on a virtual machine(means I
created a new virtual machine only for testing Slackware 13). I
haven't upgraded my system yet. I do some tests and I'm careful every
time I upgrade my system, and it's what I'm doing now(I've done
upgrades to all versions since Slackware 8). If you read my message
again, paying attention, you'll understand my real problem.

The problem is: the kernel which comes with Slackware 13 don't boot on
my virtual machine.

Thank you.
From: Jim Diamond on
On 2010-04-27 at 21:21 ADT, Bru++ <thbmatrix(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 abr, 18:25, Grant <o...(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:43:37 -0700 (PDT), "Bru++" <thbmat...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Hello all!
>>
>> >I'm having a trouble on testing Slackware 13 on a virtual machine. I
>> >tried all the voodoo I know using kernel parameters to fix something
>> >which may be wrong, but I'm unsuccessful. I have never used Slackware
>> >13, and I want to test it on a VM before upgrading my 12.2 to it,
>>
>> I'd like to make a suggestion for next time you reformat or upgrade the
>> hard drive. �
>>
>> Make room for a second OS install primary partition.

<snip>

> Please, forgive me if I don't explained it well, but I'm sure you
> misunderstood me... I said I installed it on a virtual machine(means I
> created a new virtual machine only for testing Slackware 13). I
> haven't upgraded my system yet. I do some tests and I'm careful every
> time I upgrade my system, and it's what I'm doing now(I've done
> upgrades to all versions since Slackware 8). If you read my message
> again, paying attention, you'll understand my real problem.
>
> The problem is: the kernel which comes with Slackware 13 don't boot on
> my virtual machine.

I think he understood you but suggested an entirely different way
which you may find useful in the future.

In the interim,
(1) which VMware? Player? Server (*spit*)? Workstation?
(2) I mostly gave up on vmware a while back and use vbox now.
I have Slack 13.0 (32) running in a vbox vm with no problem at
all.

And one other question... why not boot from the S13 CD, rather than
confusing the issue with the Slack 12 CD (as you mentioned in your
first post)?

Cheers.
Jim
From: Bru++ on
On 27 abr, 21:50, Jim Diamond <Jim.Diam...(a)deletethis.AcadiaU.ca>
wrote:
> On 2010-04-27 at 21:21 ADT, Bru++ <thbmat...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'd like to make a suggestion for next time you reformat or upgrade the
> >> hard drive.
>
> >> Make room for a second OS install primary partition.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Please, forgive me if I don't explained it well, but I'm sure you
> > misunderstood me... I said I installed it on a virtual machine(means I
> > created a new virtual machine only for testing Slackware 13). I
> > haven't upgraded my system yet. I do some tests and I'm careful every
> > time I upgrade my system, and it's what I'm doing now(I've done
> > upgrades to all versions since Slackware 8). If you read my message
> > again, paying attention, you'll understand my real problem.
>
> > The problem is: the kernel which comes with Slackware 13 don't boot on
> > my virtual machine.
>
> I think he understood you but suggested an entirely different way
> which you may find useful in the future.
>
> In the interim,
> (1) which VMware?  Player?  Server (*spit*)?  Workstation?

It's VMWare Server.

> (2) I mostly gave up on vmware a while back and use vbox now.
>     I have Slack 13.0 (32) running in a vbox vm with no problem at
>     all.
>
> And one other question... why not boot from the S13 CD, rather than
> confusing the issue with the Slack 12 CD (as you mentioned in your
> first post)?

Forgive me if I don't explained it better. I'll try to explain again.
I said in a confusing way that: S13 CD don't boot on this virtual
machine. It's because the S13's kernel seems to don't work with it.
S12 kernel works fine, and so I needed the S12 kernel too boot up the
machine, and S13 kernel to copy from the ramfs system.

Now, I installed it and it(S13 system) works fine with S12's kernel.
But it's ugly let my system running an old kernel, and I want to know
what's on my virtual hardware(see the dmesg on the first message) is
incompatible with S13, just to reconfigure the kernel and compile it
again.

> Cheers.
>                                 Jim

Thank you.