From: Arfa Daily on
I have a 2G iPod Touch, 8GB version. A few days ago, when iTunes told me
that there was new software available, I went ahead and downloaded it and
installed it to my Touch, as I always have before, without issue. The
installation went ok, and the unit seemed to still work ok. All my apps and
music had been reinstated to the device correctly. As of about 2am, when I
finished and went to bed, it was fully charged. However, when I next came to
use it around 18 hours later, the battery was totally rinsed. Not even
enough charge to turn on. Since then, I have confirmed that the standby
battery life has gone from days, to hours. Last night, I downloaded two
little apps that evaluate the state of charge of the battery. When it is
fully charged, both apps agree that it is, and that the standby time
available should be 300 hrs. I'm not sure that it has ever been good for
that much, but I would have said 200 anyway. One of the two apps also has a
system monitor, which tells you what routines are running, and how much
processor they are gobbling. I thought maybe the new OS4 was not fully
closing out apps when you exited them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
It indicates around 97% idle processor, which seems reasonable considering
that it is running the app that is showing me this.

Has anyone else on here got a 2G that they've updated to OS4, and are having
similar problems ? Anyone got any ideas what is going on ? Looking on the
net, there would seem to be some issues, and a few people have mentioned
battery life problems that they didn't have before. A full "restore"
operation has been suggested. I tried that, but it bombed out half way
through with an "error" ... :-( It's also been suggested that you can
reload a previous firmware version, so another question. Does anyone know
what the last build number was, which is presumably what I had as I had
always done the updates as they became available ?

Don't you just hate it when something that's been working fine for a long
time, suddenly starts suffering issues as a result of an upgrade ... Just
to further muddy the waters, from lunchtime to a couple of hours ago, it
went from 100% charge to 50%. Now, in the last couple of hours, it doesn't
seem to have moved from 50%. I wonder if they are leaving the wifi
transmitter on, even when no app is running, and looking to use it. I guess
that might make short work of the battery, and wouldn't show as being any
kind of system task that was running. I might try manually switching off the
wifi to see if that has any effect.

Weights on the brain, weights on the brain, as my daughter is fond of saying
:-\

Arfa

From: Jeffrey D Angus on
Arfa Daily wrote:
> Don't you just hate it when something that's been working
> fine for a long time, suddenly starts suffering issues as
> a result of an upgrade

Oh, heh, you Apple people. We've had that for decades with
Microsoft. About time you got on board.

Jeff

--
�Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.�
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
From: Arfa Daily on

"Jeffrey D Angus" <jangus(a)suddenlink.net> wrote in message
> Arfa Daily wrote:
>> Don't you just hate it when something that's been working
>> fine for a long time, suddenly starts suffering issues as
>> a result of an upgrade
>
> Oh, heh, you Apple people. We've had that for decades with
> Microsoft. About time you got on board.
>
> Jeff

How do you arrive at me being an "Apple person" , Jeff ??? :-\

Nothing could actually be further from the truth. I run exclusively Windoze
based machines for both home and business, as does the whole family, and am
well aware of the pitfalls of upgrades and patches. I have but one Apple
device - my iPod Touch - which I use for portable music, video and assorted
useful apps and games. I have been very happy with it, as has my wife, my
daughter and her husband with theirs. It has always done 'exactly as it says
on the can', and up until now, I have had no complaint with any aspect of
its workings, except perhaps with the fact that it needs to have a very
close relationship with its own copy of iTunes on its host machine. This
program is at best 'quirky', and takes some getting used to, but seems to
work pretty fair, once you get your head around it.

Anyways, bit of an update. Left another couple of hours, by this evening,
the indicated battery level was down at 30%. So without doing anything else,
I went into "settings", and turned off the wifi, then put it back to sleep,
and just left it for another two hours. Lo ! When I returned and checked it
again a few minutes ago, the battery level had crept back up to 45%, so it
looks like the wifi transmitter being continuously active, is the answer to
why it is rinsing the battery. So the next question is, have Apple done this
for some (in their mind) good reason - perhaps something to do with one of
the new 'features' in OS4 - or is it an oversight that they will correct
with a patch ? Perhaps 3Gs don't suffer. I understand that the machine
architecture is significantly different between the two.

Either way, I will now do some more checking by charging it right up, and
leaving the wifi switched off, and seeing if we are back to the original
battery life. A bit inconvenient, but I guess it will do for the time being,
until they produce a patch to correct it - if they do ...

Arfa

From: Dave Platt on

In article <enSUn.23762$wi5.15312(a)hurricane>,
Arfa Daily <arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Anyways, bit of an update. Left another couple of hours, by this evening,
>the indicated battery level was down at 30%. So without doing anything else,
>I went into "settings", and turned off the wifi, then put it back to sleep,
>and just left it for another two hours. Lo ! When I returned and checked it
>again a few minutes ago, the battery level had crept back up to 45%, so it
>looks like the wifi transmitter being continuously active, is the answer to
>why it is rinsing the battery. So the next question is, have Apple done this
>for some (in their mind) good reason - perhaps something to do with one of
>the new 'features' in OS4 - or is it an oversight that they will correct
>with a patch ? Perhaps 3Gs don't suffer. I understand that the machine
>architecture is significantly different between the two.

Seems odd, but... is there a chance that the "location services" were
enabled? On many devices running the Apple OS, "Assisted GPS" is used
to keep track of the current location: this can use a real GPS chip if
there's one on-board, or pull location information from the cellphone
system (if on-board and enabled), or [I gather] use the current WiFi
base station's to deduce location from the information Google gleaned
when they ran their Google Streets photo-cars around.

I wouldn't think that location services would normally be a feature
used on an iPod, but since this device uses the same OS as the
iPhones, perhaps the feature was turned on accidentally during the
upgrade, and your device was trying to figure out just where it is?

--
Dave Platt <dplatt(a)radagast.org> AE6EO
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:39:20 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
<arfa.daily(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Has anyone else on here got a 2G that they've updated to OS4, and are having
>similar problems ?

Not me.

Is yours jailbroken or stock? If jailbroken, there's a possibility
that they may be problems. Too soon to tell.

I have an iPod Touch 2G (not jailbroken) and did the update Tues
evening. The only problem I had was that Google Calendar and Gmail
wouldn't work, because the Google servers were totally overloaded with
all the iOS 4 updates. If you're carrying a huge amount of Google
Apps data on your iPod Touch, it might have been set to push data
every 15 mins, failing, and retrying endlessly. It started working
today so I would suggest you give it a 2nd chance.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com jeffl(a)cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS