From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
Hi Ludovic!

As a Debian insider do you know the reason why Debian packages seem so
outdated? It is not only gcc, I am packaging my stuff for Debian and to my
amazement discovered that GtkSourceView is ancient. (Let's forget about apt
used instead of rpm and yum (:-))

Is it Debian policy or lack of resources?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Ludovic Brenta on
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
> Hi Ludovic!
>
> As a Debian insider do you know the reason why Debian packages seem so
> outdated? It is not only gcc, I am packaging my stuff for Debian and
> to my amazement discovered that GtkSourceView is ancient. (Let's
> forget about apt used instead of rpm and yum (:-))

(you're right, apt did automatic package dependencies long before yum
even existed :) )

> Is it Debian policy or lack of resources?

Which GtkSourceView package are you talking about and which version of
Debian are you running?

http://bugs.debian.org/558676 RM: gtksourceview -- ROM; old, superseded, unmaintained upstream

http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/gtksourceview2

says the current version is 2.10.3-1; is that "ancient"?

PS. Debian policy is to *always* build packages on unstable unless you
want to fix a security bug in stable.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 22:46:50 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Which GtkSourceView package are you talking about and which version of
> Debian are you running?

The latest one, fully updated:

Distributor ID: Debian
Release: 5.0.4
Codename: lenny

dpkg -l shows:

libgtksourceview2.0-dev 2.2.2-1

Linking to it gives unresolved references:

gtk_source_view_set_mark_category_background
gtk_source_view_get_mark_category_background
gtk_source_view_set_draw_spaces
gtk_source_language_manager_guess_language

> http://bugs.debian.org/558676 RM: gtksourceview -- ROM; old, superseded, unmaintained upstream
>
> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/gtksourceview2
>
> says the current version is 2.10.3-1; is that "ancient"?

That could be better (by comparing version numbers (:-)), the only question
is how to get at it. Update/upgrade does not help.

> PS. Debian policy is to *always* build packages on unstable unless you
> want to fix a security bug in stable.

Yet gcc is still at 4.3.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Georg Bauhaus on
Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 22:46:50 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> Which GtkSourceView package are you talking about and which version of
>> Debian are you running?
>
> The latest one, fully updated:
>
> Distributor ID: Debian
> Release: 5.0.4
> Codename: lenny
>
> dpkg -l shows:
>
> libgtksourceview2.0-dev 2.2.2-1

>> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/gtksourceview2
>>
>> says the current version is 2.10.3-1; is that "ancient"?
>
> That could be better (by comparing version numbers (:-)), the only question
> is how to get at it. Update/upgrade does not help.

2.10.3-1 is from the "testing" distribution (sid).
From: Ludovic Brenta on
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 22:46:50 +0200, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> Which GtkSourceView package are you talking about and which version of
>> Debian are you running?
>
> The latest one, fully updated:
>
> Distributor ID: Debian
> Release: 5.0.4
> Codename: lenny
>
> dpkg -l shows:
>
> libgtksourceview2.0-dev 2.2.2-1

OK, that's Debian 5.0 "Lenny" which was released in February 2009. No
wonder the packages in it are > 1.5 years old.

> Linking to it gives unresolved references:
>
> gtk_source_view_set_mark_category_background
> gtk_source_view_get_mark_category_background
> gtk_source_view_set_draw_spaces
> gtk_source_language_manager_guess_language
>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/558676 RM: gtksourceview -- ROM; old, superseded, unmaintained upstream
>>
>> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/gtksourceview2
>>
>> says the current version is 2.10.3-1; is that "ancient"?
>
> That could be better (by comparing version numbers (:-)), the only question
> is how to get at it. Update/upgrade does not help.
>
>> PS. Debian policy is to *always* build packages on unstable unless you
>> want to fix a security bug in stable.
>
> Yet gcc is still at 4.3.

Feel free to continue using stable as your main system; you can either
upgrade it to unstable or install unstable in a chroot, see [1].

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-ada/2010/02/msg00003.html

If you want to upgrade your main system instead, there is an
Ada-specific recipe for that in the upcoming Debian Policy for Ada
(Fifth Edition) which I'm about to publish in a few days (I'm waiting
for the availablility of GNAT GPL 2010):

http://green.ada-france.org:8081/revision/file/77ab86dc2e38b0012c38bae2d61dd134d2c1db70/debian-ada-policy.texi

Look for "In-place upgrades".

--
Ludovic Brenta.