From: Norbert_Paul on
Hello,

I have recently switched to Debian Squeeze (a testing distro) and when I
start slime from emacs23 I get the attached debugger message. Does anyone
know how to handle this?

I found a (one year old) bug report on Debian about that problem and it
was said to only occur with sbcl. So I installed cmucl, too, but now I
don't know where the Debian sets the inferior-lisp-program path. Putting

(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/cmucl")

into .emacs has no effect. .emacs, however, is loaded.

Help is appreciated. Switching to another distro is not an option.
(Info: I am also using packages from Lenny as Squeeze's package list
seems to be unfinished yet.)

Norbert

;;;;----%<----------------------------------------------------------------------
;;;; The debugger output I get form M-X slime:
;;;; (with-some-manual-indentation

(progn
(load "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp" :verbose t)
(funcall (read-from-string "swank-loader:init"))
(funcall (read-from-string "swank:start-server")
"/tmp/slime.4124" :coding-system "iso-latin-1-unix") )

This is SBCL 1.0.25.debian, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.

SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
BSD-style licenses. See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
distribution for more information.
*

debugger invoked on a SB-C::INPUT-ERROR-IN-COMPILE-FILE in thread #<THREAD
"initial thread" RUNNING {A8F7639}>:
READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
SB-INT:SIMPLE-READER-PACKAGE-ERROR at 5151 (line 128, column 45) on
#<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp" {A903AB9}>:
package "CLC" not found

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SB-C::READ-FOR-COMPILE-FILE
#<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp" {A903AB9}>
4664)
0]

;;;;)
;;;;----%<----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Petter Gustad on
Norbert_Paul <norbertpauls_spambin(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/cmucl")
>
> into .emacs has no effect. .emacs, however, is loaded.

What is the value of inferior-lisp-program (C-h v
inferior-lisp-program) right before you do M-x slime?

Seems like it's sbcl.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Norbert_Paul on
Ist says: Its value is "/usr/bin/cmucl"
But when I type M-x slime the error occurs again.

From: Nicolas Neuss on
Norbert_Paul <norbertpauls_spambin(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> /usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp" {A903AB9}>:
> package "CLC" not found

Maybe doing "apt-get install common-lisp-controller" separately could
help?

Nicolas
From: Norbert_Paul on
No.
Even though common-lisp-controller was already installed I did
# apt-get install common-lisp-controller
$ emacs
[ M-X slime ]

same result. I browsed the source slime.el and found a comment
which more or less says inferior-lisp-program in no more used but
maintained for backward compatibility.

I just spotted slime-default-lisp and
(setq slime-default-lisp "cmucl")
in .emacs helped.

Thank you for helping. The issue with sbcl, though, remains open.

Norbert

P.S. In fact I wrote:
(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/cmucl") ; my Lisp system ...
(setq slime-default-lisp "cmucl") ; ... I mean it!