From: smlunatick on
Most ISPs are or have dropped USENET servers. They stated it was too
expensive to maintain.

From: lil abner on
smlunatick wrote:
> Most ISPs are or have dropped USENET servers. They stated it was too
> expensive to maintain.
>
> On Mar 30, 3:44 pm, Kevin John Panzke <kevin.pan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Whistleblower wrote: > BEWARE OF and AVOID doing business with AT&T! >
>>> AT&T exemplifies screw-the-consumer corporate arrogance at its
>> worst. > DO NOT PATRONIZE AT&T or YOU'LL REGRET IT! > > I had an ISP
>> service package with AT&T Worldnet that included email, DSL, a >
>> personal website on their server, and Usenet access. Suddenly they
>> dropped > the Usenet service, with no compensation to customers that
>> were forced to > find another source. Another example of their screw-
>> the-customer attitude is > the fact that reaching a tech support
>> person by phone typically requires at > least a 20 minute wait on
>> hold. AT&T once had a good tech support service on > Usenet, but
>> dropped that too and became very hard to reach. I should have > seen
>> the writing on the wall and dropped AT&T back then! > > This March 2nd
>> I get an email that AT&T Worldnet service, DSL service, and > website
>> hosting will no longer be available effective March 31st - A KNIFE >
>> IN THE BACK to all their small business and individual cust

They are not telling us the truth. Usnet and DSLs etc attracted
customers and profits.
The profits they are going to miss are going somewhere else. They sold
or traded the profit makers to someone else. The Companys are so
intertwined it difficult for us to know what games they a re paying.
At any rate they think they can make us pay for fewer and poorer quality
service.
From: Unknown on
Ridiculous comment. Put yourself in the position of CEO of any ISP. Would
you keep usenet servers?
If so, you wouldn't be CEO very long.

From: Matthew on
I have noticed it getting harder to find usenet servers. Now how am I
gonna find Doom. :P
From: hotfoot on
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:35:15 -0400, lil abner wrote:

> smlunatick wrote:
>> Most ISPs are or have dropped USENET servers. They stated it was too
>> expensive to maintain.
>>
>> On Mar 30, 3:44 pm, Kevin John Panzke <kevin.pan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Whistleblower wrote: > BEWARE OF and AVOID doing business with AT&T! >
>>> worst. > DO NOT PATRONIZE AT&T or YOU'LL REGRET IT! > > I had an ISP
>>> service package with AT&T Worldnet that included email, DSL, a >
>>> personal website on their server, and Usenet access. Suddenly they
>>> dropped > the Usenet service, with no compensation to customers that
>>> were forced to > find another source. Another example of their screw-
>>> the-customer attitude is > the fact that reaching a tech support
>>> person by phone typically requires at > least a 20 minute wait on
>>> hold. AT&T once had a good tech support service on > Usenet, but
>>> dropped that too and became very hard to reach. I should have > seen
>>> the writing on the wall and dropped AT&T back then! > > This March 2nd
>>> I get an email that AT&T Worldnet service, DSL service, and > website
>>> hosting will no longer be available effective March 31st - A KNIFE >
>>> IN THE BACK to all their small business and individual cust
>>
> They are not telling us the truth. Usnet and DSLs etc attracted
> customers and profits.

Only a relative handful of Internet users even know Usenet exists - and
we need to keep it that way if we don't want this place getting any
more overrun with idiots than it already is.

> The profits they are going to miss are going somewhere else. They sold
> or traded the profit makers to someone else. The Companys are so
> intertwined it difficult for us to know what games they a re paying. At
> any rate they think they can make us pay for fewer and poorer quality
> service.

You can get "premium" news service for about $10 a month that runs
circles around the stripped-down news servers most ISP's offer. If you
only do text groups, some of the free providers may be at least as good
as ISP news servers, except that you might have to pay around $5-$15 per
year if you want posting privileges.

If you're into big binaries, many ISP's try to reduce their overhead by
limiting retention to just a day or two, through limited peering, or by
deleting a few critical parts out of each big archive to discourage
downloading. Premium providers work very hard to ensure completeness and
the top ones retain even the largest binaries for 3 to 12 months and
text groups for one or two years.

Anyone who spends a lot of time on Usenet and has never experienced a
premium provider should try it.